SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen height minus a figure and write CSS

Hi,

I am completely new to this so I thought I'd ask as I couldn't find anything using a search.

Effectively I want to set the height of a CSS div by geting the window height and then subtracting the hieght of the header and footer.

So lets say that the header is 200px high and the footer is 150px high

I want the script to get window height - 350px and then write the style.

.content { height:Xpx; } where X is window height minus 350px

Any ideas where to start.. and finsih
    Never argue with an idiot.
    They just drag you down to their level...
    and beat you with experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not use CSS to absolute position the div and use the margin attribute to account for the header and footer? Then again.. that wouldnt work for pages with a scrollbar that are larger than the browser's height. So you could use a CSS layout seen in these examples. Using a pure CSS method would eliminate problems when viewing the website in a window smaller than your resolution and vice versa that may be caused by this JavaScript method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it would help if I show you what I am trying to achieve - I have been on the CSS forums to ask how this can be done and really theres not much of a solution as far as I can discover.

The problem I have is to get the .content div to take up the whole space between a header that sites at the top and moreinfo that must always sit at the bottom of the window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CSS forum didnt have a solution for you? The solution is simple! Just use this example layout without the left and right columns:

Hrm.. it seems BonRouge isnt working at the moment. Ill give you the link once its up again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I look at all of those and none do as required - some are similar but when you try to make then do exactly what I require they break - Paul'O gave me a good run through with trying to get it to work though quirls mode but to no avail

So... I would really appreciate some help in writing this JavaScript - firstly it may solve my problem and secondly it might help me dip my toe into the sea of JavaScript

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar issue with a partial solution

Hi

The problems as I see them are:
    1. Setting height:100% doesn't work for all css layouts on all browsers
    2. Setting height:100% doesn't work when you use an up-to-date DTD
    3. There are several Javascript code bits for adjusting the height of elements but these:

1. are for getting, say, 3 columns to an equal height, but not for getting them to all resize to fill the screen
    2. don't work perfectly on all browsers
    3. don't readjust the elements if the browser window is resized.

I have found/hacked a script that does work, but I think it could be streamlined. See my post and example at: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271368.

Apart from JS reliant frameworks, I have just seen a pure-css example (referred to in this thread) at http://bonrouge.com/3c-hf-fluid-lc.php - I need to test it in the real world now :-)