SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on my new media kit

Using this wonderful article recently published on SitePoint and a view example media kits from other sites, I took the time (took me almost three hours) to improve how I sell advertising on my site. I went from a page with some paragraphs discussing advertising and a form to enter for more info to a rather complete media kit, in my mind, with expanded info and options for advertisers.

Tell me what you think of my methods: http://www.sports-central.org/other/advertising . I basically have an intro and overview page, a page full of site demographics from my BURST! survey, a page detailing the six different advertising options advertisers have, along with rates and specifications, and a link to contact me for more info, rather than a generic form.

For those of you who sell advertising and have media kits, I'd love to hear your input on how I can improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see anything about the number of unique visitors you get, how much overall traffic, average CTR on your site, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some important things you left out, such as:

You say you wish to charge for adverts for 1 month of views - you should really charge CPM or CPC. IMO it is best to show prices only in CPM, and if the advertisor is interested in CPC they can contact you and ask.

Also - don't "force" the advertisor to use the sizes you are offering, make sure you mention you support all the IAB standards of ad-sizes.

I've recently spent an awful long time writing a media kit for my site; SimRacingWorld.com - I suggest you might be interested in taking a look.

Goto the bottom of the main page and take a look at "Advertise".
    The site's down at the current moment... but should be up soon.
    Paul Tomlinson
    SimRacingWorld Network - http://www.simracingworld.com
    SimRacingWorld - Advertise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post traffic information. Besides that the media kit looks ok, reminds me of Sitepoint's Media kit
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and SitePoint's media kit is a very good media kit
    Paul Tomlinson
    SimRacingWorld Network - http://www.simracingworld.com
    SimRacingWorld - Advertise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert, but here's my $.02:
    I took a look, and although I want to commend you on a clearly organized media kit, I gotta say, I found the "wrapper" around it to be distracting. In other words, if you've managed to move someone to seek your advertising information--why distract them with all the links to the rest of your site? Your real goal here should be show them the info, then entice them to email you to buy it. Don't let them be distracted with "site of the week" and various other options. I would make that info the only info on the page, strip all the other stuff out of the template.
    Hope this helps.
    Will Barnes - Co-Founder Tourist Network Interactive
    Web Design, Development, Marketing & Consulting
    www.TripSmarter.Com Way More Than A City Guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to the right column and its content? That is a basic part of the design and it is on all parts, I prefer not to remove it. The content in the center part is what matters and is what I primarily concerned with.

As for displaying traffic, I would be more than happy to provide interested advertisers with data, but would rather do it through e-mail as keeping updated figures would be a hassle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc, in that case, maybe you should put a note there that says that traffic stats will be available on demand (maybe even explain why). I also thought that was kinda missing as this is one of the first things advertisers would want to know about your site (especially as you charge by the month).

Other than that it looks great IMO. Best of luck with getting them!
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Anat
    Marc, in that case, maybe you should put a note there that says that traffic stats will be available on demand (maybe even explain why). I also thought that was kinda missing as this is one of the first things advertisers would want to know about your site (especially as you charge by the month).

Other than that it looks great IMO. Best of luck with getting them!
    Thank you, I appreciate the comments. I will most definitely tweak things a little and make sure to state traffic numbers and additional information are available upon request.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet Usage

20+ hours - 39%
    11-20 hours - 22%
    6-10 hours - 18%
    1-5 hours - 19%

What does this mean? I've used the Internet for my than 20 hours this year, but haven't used it 20 hours today.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HyperBaseball

What does this mean? I've used the Internet for my than 20 hours this year, but haven't used it 20 hours today.
    Good point - that is supposed to mean usage per week. I will change it today.