User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other interesting uses for Ruby...

Just out of interest, are people using Ruby outside the Rails framework? It'll be interesting to know what other uses people have for Ruby. I tend to prefer using Ruby for shell scripting, if I know I can use it, and I'm having a play with a simple shoot'em up game in Ruby, just to see how it fares with GUI stuff and basic SDL stuff.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it to generate a website with it. It creates a website + pull-down-navigation based on html-files and directory structure.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks if you are interested in what people are doing with ruby outside of rails then go listen to some audio or watch some video of RubyConf 2005 from last weekend. I am hosting all the presentations(about 18 of them) on my RubyConf for Stragglers blog here:
    http://yhrhosting.com:7000
    There are some great presentations there about other cool things being done with ruby. Like one guy's presentation is on embedding ruby in Marine Biology Submersible Robots. Very cool stuff. You can also listen to Matz(ruby's creator) talk about ruby 2 or Koichi Sasada talk about YARV(yet another ruby VM) which will be the fast new VM for ruby 2. He thinks it will be feature complete by Feb 06 which is not that far away. Actually here is a cool toy. You can go to this website: http://www.atdot.net/yc/compile and paste in any of your ruby code and it will compile it to YARV bytecode for your perusal.

Anyway, people are doing tons of things outside of rails. If you are interested in Science then check out http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/ . There are many interesting projects on that site with code available!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://yhrhosting.com:7000 doesn't work for me: connection refused error.

Are the presentations available elsewhere?

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2
    http://yhrhosting.com:7000 doesn't work for me: connection refused error.

Are the presentations available elsewhere?
    Works for me. Possible DNS or firewall issue?
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Fenrir2- You must be behind a firewall that won't let you surf a website on port 7000. I had close to 3000 downloads of audio files since Friday and no one else has complained about not being able to reach the site.

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just yesterday I made a script that periodicaly checks if SSL security certificates haven't expired and if it finds certificates that will expire in the next month it sends warnings.

The server I work on has about 14 active shopping cards with different domains and different security certificates (bought from multiple vendors) so this script really helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uses for ruby? It's a programming language

I love using it for quick engineering problems that our teachers otherwise like us running using things like MATLAB...
    Studio Rockstar's Blog - A journey to quitting the dayjob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I really have only used ruby for baby steps. I made a little command line menu system and used it for things like a diagnostic tool which searched over the Oracle data dictionary, locates the active users on the system and then shows what SQL statements the user is executing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I thought Ruby would be good for desktop apps (it may be: I'm a Ruby nooby) I'd be seriously tempted to dive in. At work (for a small business) a lot of my time is spent getting all the different programs people are using to talk to each other - Sage, Excel, FileMakerPro, and so on. I'd love to replace it with something a bit more coherent so that everyone is always working with the same data. I guess it wouldn't have to be a desktop app although that would probably be the first choice.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I've added port 7000 to the filter list, and it works now. Really cool presentations!

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ezmobius1
    Folks if you are interested in what people are doing with ruby outside of rails then go listen to some audio or watch some video of RubyConf 2005 from last weekend. I am hosting all the presentations(about 18 of them) on my RubyConf for Stragglers blog here:
    http://yhrhosting.com:7000
    There are some great presentations there about other cool things being done with ruby. Like one guy's presentation is on embedding ruby in Marine Biology Submersible Robots. Very cool stuff. You can also listen to Matz(ruby's creator) talk about ruby 2 or Koichi Sasada talk about YARV(yet another ruby VM) which will be the fast new VM for ruby 2. He thinks it will be feature complete by Feb 06 which is not that far away. Actually here is a cool toy. You can go to this website: http://www.atdot.net/yc/compile and paste in any of your ruby code and it will compile it to YARV bytecode for your perusal.

Anyway, people are doing tons of things outside of rails. If you are interested in Science then check out http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/ . There are many interesting projects on that site with code available!
    WOW, I thought Ruby 2 would be quite a distance away. I assume that all the talk of Parrot has died off, I must say it didn't look like anyone was actively doing anything with it in the last year or so (in general, not just Ruby). I can't see PHP 6 nor Ruby running on Parrot, and the same probably goes for Python. I guess there will be a Parrot implementation of ruby 2 in parrot, but I can't see it being the mainstream implementation.

Ruby in embedded systems sounds good. Ruby is quite small once zipped up, so I can see the uses there, and it can run on primitative OS's (i.e. cut down linux or DOS). I never really saw why the cellphone industry (well Nokia at least) adopted Java for their main application platform, I guess it might be a tad faster, but I bet the decision was more a business based one (i.e. Java programmers are as common as muck).

Certainly I'm keen to look at Ruby briefly for basic GUI apps. I might also look at Python and see how they compare. Personally, I'd be happier sticking to Ruby as Ruby can be useful for web and to some degree shell scripting.

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunatelly Parrot isn't finished yet. And they said it will take another 1 or 2 years, because they aren't in a rush (I read an article somewhere on perl.com)

The project *is* under heavy development ... but at this stage it is still vaporware.

PHP running on Parrot will be just like PHP running on .NET or Ruby running on Java ... interesting ... but of no interest.

And that's because first of all it is a battle between platforms ... and not languages.

Considering Ruby reached 1.8.3 I think the next version will be Ruby 9 (which will have many features from Ruby 2 - and it will be designed as a test)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matz said he wants to maximize compatibility breaks in 1.9 to minimize them later, so there will be a lot of new things in 1.9.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonefry
    Considering Ruby reached 1.8.3 I think the next version will be Ruby 9 (which will have many features from Ruby 2 - and it will be designed as a test)
    Actually the next version of ruby will be 1.8.4 and as per Matz Claus it will be released on Christmas day just like last year and the year before that. Actually its a bit of a tradition that all rubyists look forward to a shiny new version of ruby under the Xmas tree ;-)

Cheers-
    -Ezra

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I did read somewhere that 1.9 will have a lot of features that are planned to be implemented in the Ruby 2.x, but from what I heard they will be implemented on the old 1.x engine, where as obviously the 2.x tree will be a total rewrite more-or-less inorder to get the performance that people what.

As far as Parrot goes, I don't see much happening in that direction. It seems to have lost the velocity and hype it once had. I honestly can't see it being used as the main VM behind all the main heavy languages, like people once were saying. For a start I can't see how Parrot can be seen as some universal answer to all these scripting languages. Somewhere there must be some compromises if it was used. I just can't see it being as perfect and idealogical as people seem to have made it out to have been.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Matz has said that parrot wont ever be the main ruby VM because ruby has many uniques feature esp[ecially the blocks and closure, so it is much easier to write a VM specifically for ruby then to try to shoehorn ruby into parrot or some other multi-purpose VM.

And you can get the 1.9.x branch now to play with the new syntax. Its actually pretty stable. And it does use the same interpreter as 1.8.x but it has some optimizations to make many thing faster than 1.8.x.

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ezmobius1
    Yeah, Matz has said that parrot wont ever be the main ruby VM because ruby has many uniques feature esp[ecially the blocks and closure, so it is much easier to write a VM specifically for ruby then to try to shoehorn ruby into parrot or some other multi-purpose VM.

And you can get the 1.9.x branch now to play with the new syntax. Its actually pretty stable. And it does use the same interpreter as 1.8.x but it has some optimizations to make many thing faster than 1.8.x.
    Out of interest... does rails run on it OK. I assume that the C interface for extensions is also moreless the same as for things like MySQL-Ruby and RUDL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could not get rails to fire up on 1.9 becuase the system logging class had changed.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried to run rails on 1.9 but I think it doesn't work yet. Sweatje: you might want to upgrade rails to the latest rc2 version .14.2 it fixes the incompatibility in the Logger class. I'm just not certain whether there are other inconsistencies. I'm sure there are, 1.9 is like the testbed for new syntax for ruby 2.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatje
    I could not get rails to fire up on 1.9 becuase the system logging class had changed.

One beta for another. Are you running Rails 1.0 RC2? I believe this was patched in RC1.
    Studio Rockstar's Blog - A journey to quitting the dayjob.

SitePoint Zealot bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, to add to Rubys success stories, there is this:

I used to have a VBScript (downloaded it from somewhere on the web) which let me randomly pick a wallpaper and apply it. You specified which folder it should load from and it took care of everything.

Now, I lost that script in a reformat, and last night I went out to try and find it again. After a few unsusccessful google searches, I decided "heck, I'll just do it in Ruby". I've got a program (bsetroot.exe, part of BBLean) which does the actual applying of the wallpaper, so I didn't have to worry about that.

Anyway, it came to 14 lines of readable Ruby. The VBScript was around 100 lines. And both deferred to bsetroot.exe to actually apply the wallpaper.
    If there is a way to overcome the suffering, there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, there is no point to worry.
    - Shantideva

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiJaySung
    It'll be interesting to know what other uses people have for Ruby.
    The garbage can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Twig
    The garbage can.
    I am not sure that a garbage can is a sophisticated enough device to warrent an embedded control system, and I am sure the proximity sensors and actuators would cost far more than the value you could derive from having it open itself. I would continue your search for a more interesting application.

SitePoint Zealot bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if you use Ruby to write the control system for a garbage can, I'm sure you could use the built-in garbage collector to do a lot of your work for you
    If there is a way to overcome the suffering, there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, there is no point to worry.
    - Shantideva