Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bum Records

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bum Records

I havent had time to put in much content. I would like comments about the overall design, colors, and idea. Also what do you guys think of the background and how do I center my website so that appears in the middle with bigger computer screens. Thank you

www.bumrecords.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homepage: Please break up the text into paragraphs so it's easier to read. (Anyone who knows me knows this is one of my "things".) LOL I'm not real thrilled with the white background; try to find something light beige-ish that would correlate with the other colors.

The other colors are great. The image takes a while to load (though I don't honestly know if it's your image or my machine). I'm viewing on Firefox in Windows XP.

The Artists page has a problem with the links because there are lines around the links (showing the background color). They're not uniform either; it's obviously a problem that needs to be fixed.

On the News and Artists pages, the text looks a lot better because you've formatted it (fonts and everything).

I hate to be the one to say it, but it would be extremely valuable for you to take the time to really utilize CSS. It is so nice to get rid of so many tags!

Oh, I'm viewing in 1024x768 and your site shows in the middle of my screen just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, but I would get rid of the underline on the home and artist page. Also, get rid of the underline on your menu at the bottom and make them rollover. When I click your artist page, your menu picture spreads out and becomes distorted. Although, the rest of the pages are fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, had a brief look over the site. Looks nice and centered in both Firefox and MISE 6 on win XP. I can't really comment on load-times, it was pretty quick with my 2mb cable.

When the page first came up I couldn't find the nav! I searched under the title, then went for the arrows towards the bottom! (quite dissapointed that they didn't do anything) Finally I found the nav at the top, thought it looked quite cool, then there was no rollover to show it did anything. These are personal things but i like elements(button etc) that I have to use to make themselve know to me in some way. Maybe make more of a feature of the nav so it stands out more.

I think the logo needs a little work as well. I like the "bum" but the records doesn't sit right with it. Might be as simple as moving it closer, but I'm thinking probably a different font.

The text needs to be formatted better, it looks to be in bold most of the time and as 'krkrista' said, let's have some paragraphs in there please.

Lastly I've found the nav breaks on both the Artists and About page.

Sorry if I've sounded a bit negative, overall it's a good design that just needs a bit of tweaking and polishing here and ther to really finish it off.

Oh - and one other thing, it would be worth looking into xhtml/css! That's all I'll say on the matter.

Keep up the good work
    "Everything should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler" - Albert Einstein

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Artists and ABout me page have serious gaps and breaks. Arrows are confusing. Are they going to be nav links?
    www.GetCoolNow.com - Wichita Kansas Cooling

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pretty unusual and eye-catching design.

On the homepage the thing that jumps out at me is that there is no cellpadding / padding between the text in the white left hand column and the red / orage edges of the column. As per someone else's post, the text needs splitting into paragraphs as well.

I kept trying to click on those arrows as well, underneath the shiny paper navigation links.

On FireFox at least, I also get the nav links breaking up with gaps between them.

The text on one of your artist pages:

http://bumrecords.net/wordisbond.html

looks a little thrown together (maybe due to the Times New Roman which always looks unfinished to me on a website)

When I follow the audios link:

http://bumrecords.net/wordisbond/audios.html

it jumps from left align to center aligned.

It looks like you have a number of pages for different artists, but they don't feel at all finished. It's a bit unusual to see such huge navigation buttons, which dwarf the content, e.g. on:

http://www.bumrecords.net/akay.html

Sorry to sound negative

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish the arrows were clickable - they look like they should be.

SitePoint Enthusiast jonathanbriggs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some strange mixes of styles here that I almost like. The left hand site text on the home page is rather retro and with a bit more padding might work but it is very straight. Everything else on the page is all over the place and I quite like that. I agree that the arrows look clickable and therefore should be.

What happens to your logo when I get to the forums? Did you change it deliberately or is one of them not the logo? This page looks way out on its own and needs bringing back into the design.

WordIsBond artists page has a white line in the middle where the graphics don't align (Mac Safari 2). I like this design better but whats with the squashed text?

Some nice ideas that just need a little further work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well standard fair again it seems.

Hover effects on your navigation would be nice as well as a different colour of text or an underline to indicate what page you are on.

The home page description is a little daunting with so much text. I suggest to either cut it down into paragraphs with added pictures OR bold some of the text so that it is much easier to scan OR simply shorten it up. (A combination of the three is probably best)

The news page seems fine just could use some more news, but you probably already knew that.

The artists page breaks so I stopped looking at it and moved along.
    The forum needs a clear link back to the main site.
    The about page breaks too so I didn't look either.

The arrows on the bottom right are weird.

Overall the design is unique but a tad boring. You really need to clean up the broken pages and the little usability issues would make it much easier to navigate for people that stumble onto your page.
    People don't read ads. They read what interests them,
    and sometimes that happens to be an ad.
    TrulyBored.com | TankingTips.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the work with the images, however I might consider changing the site font?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the colours, however text needs to be broken up into paragraphs to it's easier to read. maybe some rollover effects on the menu, and fix the pages that break, contact and about

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you all for your comments and I really do not know what is wrong with the about and artists page because they are all using the same html and just have different content. The forums skin is a free one since Im not good at forum designs, but I added a link back to the main page. I'll add some paragragh breaks and some rollover effects. I'll update the page when Im finished.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and one more thing the arrows are just there to label the sites artists

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colours are ok but the site was a little slow. You can improve the speed that the pages load by reducing the amount of graphics that you use also try and use different compression rates for your images. I noticed that you use a lot of gif files try and change the number of colours etc and find a compromise between quality and file size that suites. Smaller the file sizes quicker the page loads. You're artists.html is not displaying properly either you need to look into using tables rows, columns, colspans and rowspans a bit more to get it working right also try the site in a few browsers and see how it behaves in them.

SitePoint Enthusiast Taylor Hewitt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how unique it is. The arrows and the lined backgrounds are very appealing to the eye. Is Bum records your record label? I've never heard of it but very good job.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone for all the help. Also bum records isnt really a record label as much as it is a promotional website for artists that I enjoy and think have talent. I will look into to tables to fix the artist and about page

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to upgrade your phpbb to the current version!!!

Your running 2.0.11 and the current version is 2.0.17

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=308490

There is alot of critical updates between 2.0.11 and 2.0.17

Just to let your know!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site has a casual, rough and ready feel, with high visual impact and stands out well from the crowd (partly due to unusual colour scheme) - all of which is great for a music industry site...

You need to provide some kind of visual clue as to what the arrows are for and what the text on the crumpled paper is for.

For the menus (on the crumpled paper) I would suggest a hover effect that replaces the text for the selected item with 'burnt' text (or is that too corny?). Also suggest leaving a gap between each hover area on the the menu items.

The crumpled paper with the menus on breaks up (with brown) when I select 'Artists' or 'About' - think you're getting some spillage there.

Best thing about it is it has a 'real deal' feel to it rather than something that's been grunged up to appeal to a target audience!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh

I love the look. The crumpled papers - napkins, post-its - are a great design element that holds the look together. The images loaded perfectly fine for me. The fonts are large and easy to read. A lot of web sites look to be really smmmmoooootthhhh by making teeny-tiny fonts. Great - no one can read them. Since as Jakob Neilson points out, people "eat" web pages as entire elements before focusing in on the most relevent bits, I think you're use of structure and large fonts helps the visitor get the most from the site. I think more sites could use a bit more of THAT! Good work!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the look, however I would recommend changing the home link at the bottom of the page as it links to your index.html rather than the root and if I remember correctly this could be seen as duplicate content by search engines.

Try a 301 rewrite so it redirects from none www to www and change the url link to the root.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you all and Im still trying to figure out these tables so that they dont split. Also I am working on adding rollover effects I have just been really busy but as soon as they are up I will update this page. Also I think the home link does link direct to the root but I could be wrong so I will check into it. Also im glad you all like the design because I was going for something unique and eyecatching that would draw people in.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok I fixed the page so that all the images match up and dont split apart. I also changed the main page design a little bit. I am going to make the buttons rollover in a minute

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops I forgot to mention the nav at the bottom currently doesnt work and I will fix that in a minute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good start.
    6/10

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    site looks good. It's a different type of design but I like it.