SitePoint Enthusiast Big Fat JC's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Affiliate Bandit

The Story of the Affiliate Bandit

The Pop-up A-Bomb
        Well, I was looking around today for a new way to make money off my site. My first idea was to get some high paying CPM advertising, but many of these pop-up every time a users changes pages, and some when closed spawn other windows, like a chain reaction of pop-up explosions. Sometimes users are entertained by the battle of slashing through pop-up windows, and finding new techniques like the ALT-F4 combo to destroy popups before they are completely loaded, but other times they must CTRL-ALT-DEL MS Internet Explorer and loose all of their browser windows and start from scratch again.

The CPC Scandal
        Then I looked into some CPC networks to fill my default ads from Burst. The only problem is that I swear these CPC companies design the banner ads so they DON'T get click throughs, see where I'm coming from? Well if not here it is, less clicks = less payment to publishers, more impressions, more branding, better advertising. So the ring leaders of the CPC Scandal have you right where they want you.

The Affiliate Bandit
        Anyway I didn't get frusterated I figured I would just find some excellent affiliate program. Well these programs are set up so you can't make money, first you have to convince your user to purchase the product, and lets say you do that and they click the little "Buy this Gizzmo" button on your page. They are then redirected to a page that looks nothing like your page, is loaded with other advertisements and lots of information. They then have to scour to click the miniture "Add to Cart" button and fill out the orderform. Chances of that? 0.05%. So now they purhcase a $17.95 gizmo that is of course 30% off, well since it's on sale you only collect a 5% commission not the glorious 15% you were tricked into thinking you'd get. In the mean time in trying to sell these gizzmos your page has been loaded with branding by company X, their shares have shot up 300 points because of the spin off you have created with your affiliate program and you get $0.90 for your 1 sale, which probably will be cancelled in a month and your money will be revoked and you will be charged a restocking fee.

Hope
        It's rough... Theres no doubt about that, setting up a content site and making money with it is no easy business, but there is hope, every once in a while an outstanding ad network scoops up your site and brings you loads of money and you add an affiliate program that blends in with your site seemlessly and both you and the affiliate program company bathe in riches. So don't be discouraged by the problems of being a publisher, but learn from your mistakes and the scandals you've been in, keep your content fresh and keep looking. And until that day comes laugh at the Affiliate Bandit.
    Eden Rox
    Project Bookie Currently Under Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent advice

I have learned it is all trial and error (for some lots of errors and trials)

I have finally found one that is getting results, so I will stick to them like glue :-)

I often wonder why one program produces almost 0 clicks, and another has a healthy CTR, it doesn't make sense to me.

So we battle on, eliminate the bad performers and concentrate on the strengths of the good ones.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by tdevil
    I often wonder why one program produces almost 0 clicks, and another has a healthy CTR, it doesn't make sense to me.
    It's not the program that produces 0 clicks, it's the ad copy or your website that produce 0 clicks. Plain and simple, some banners (and ad copy) do not produce, do NOT continue using these. Try another banner, create your own (check with the T&C first), or drop the product. Some products will not sell on some websites no matter how hard you try.

Is it just me, or am I starting to sound like a broken record?
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here