Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow New site - how would you improve it

New site: www.gardengateestates.com.

Any suggestions on ways to improve it? I'm sure there are many opportunities for improvement but I've been looking at it too long. Does it load quickly for those of you on dialup - especially on the Tour? Did I go overboard on alt and title tags on links and images? Any feedback appreciated.

I'm still waiting for content on News and Links pages, so ignore those for now.

thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site loads fairly quickly even on dialup. I think the look of the site is perfect for your target audience. The contrast of black lettering on white is a good idea for aging eyes but the font-size is a bit small. And it is an accessibility issue that nav and content fonts are not resizable.

Using IE 6 small text size option, the h1 in the main content area is not rendering correctly. Here's a screenshot. Medium is fine. Large is way to big. Those values need to be harmonized so they are proportional at all text size options.

I tried to take the Tour but am getting several Javascript errors every time I click on an arrow. I quickly lost patience.

Just fix those few things and it will be a winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use: Mozilla Firefox 1.5 BETA, Windows XP, screen resolution 1280X1024

First imporession, the website loads quick, easy to navigate but it looks so, white...

I took the tour but maybe you should to a look at this page, i see a lot of unneccesairy scroll bars.

The pop-up window on the appartments with the floorplans maybe should have a close button? Personally i like this kind of windows to be just as big as the photo itself. If you're using dreamweaver there is a javascript extention to do this for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tested the site on Opera 8.5, Windows XP and screen resolution 1200 x 800.

I personally found the left menu bit congested, I think you are trying to highlight "Take a Tour online" part but those top and bottom border doesnt seem to look good or in other words, doesn't make it attractive, may be you can use some kind of different BG color or may be write it in bold letters....

On tours page, the image size and table alignment is not uniform for all the images. Each image is of different size and because of this it changes table width everytime new image loads, you can keep fixed width so this kind of problem does not arise.

On the same page I noticed some javascript errors on Line 242.

I think you should keep link to Home seciton on tour page as well, currently you have provided link to home page on top banner but a proper link with text Home or something would make it more user friendly.

I found some stats images missing on all the pages.

Regards
    Deep

Graphic Designer silver trophy Dache's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the banner and how the two photos are merged. Black green black white. It's also very low quality. The fonts are alright in a way for this kind of target audiance however it's not the most lisible. The tagline under the logo shows this.
    There's also a map somewhere on the site, would be nice if its colors matched the general design.

Regards,
    dache
    | identity | print | webdesign | typography |
    | My portfolio www.dache.ch |
    | Contact : email |

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great suggestions!

Wow - thanks everyone for very helpful feedback and kind words.

I have new major deadlines for next two days but look forward to working on the points suggested. I'm not really technical so hope I can figure out how to fix a couple of these things (like javascript). hehe

Zizr

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the little arrows pointing in towards the links in the nav. Otherwise I wouldnt change anything. Very nice design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The above mentioned issue with your h1 needs to be addressed. I don't like those green colors together very well.

Google "Creating Senior-Friendly Web Sites" and you will find several guidlines to help you when designing sites for this particular market.

Without being critical I think you will find you are way off base with your use of colors and navigation for the senior market, they have some unique requirements that we don't normally consider but follow these guidlines and you will end up with a site that is much better suited to your targeted audience!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    THe pale green is a bit too sharp. I don't understand why you have "Osage Beach, MO call us at (573) 302-0380" as text in the home page but as an image in the rest.

Make the menu on the left textual links. Increase the overall font size, the list on the right is way too small. Who are your users, older people, right? People with poor vision. Small fonts will not help them at all.

The menu on the left is all images, they cannot be resized and they also have a stylized font, lots of curls and stuff. Keep the nav simple and textual so your users can resize them accordingly.

The tour page loaded reasonable quick for me, but like some other member posted previously, there are too many scroll bars.