SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips to get a top listing with search engines.

Hi
    I am trying to get a number one listing with search engines on my website http://www.emailfilms.com.
    I read somewhere of this tip:Apparently your site will get a top listing if keywords are mentioned many times on your webpage,but this wont look right if your keywords are visible,so what i have done is shown on my website http://www.emailfilms.com.If you visit you will see a blank space above the main table,either view source and see the word email written 108 times but this isnt visible to viewers as i have coloured the text the same color as the background and the font size is set small at 8,or to view this just drag your cursor across the blank space above main table.My site isnt listed yet as only submitted 2 weeks ago.
    Has anyone else used this method or seen it used before,or am i doing it wrong as i think i read about this a while ago.

Regards Steve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..I won't consider that a good method. Search engines might even ban you....
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This worked a few years ago, now adays most search engines will detect if you're doing that and they will permanently ban your URL.

I suggest removing that ASAP.

For keywords you want them dense but realistic.
    Do you like email? Do you like movies? Do you like movies in your email? If so then great because that is what this site is about, delivering movies in your email. All you need to do is sign up with your email address and we will start sending you movies.
    Something like that, I repeated email and movies alot yet it sounds realistic.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. nice one aspen.
    though its rather naggy...haha
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice folks,offending material has now been erased as i dont want my site to be banned from search engines.

Steve.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sgwilks,

Your site is currently listed on Fast search engine, Goto and NBCI (position check with agentwebranking freeware). Try to add your site to dmoz. Once your site is listed it will appear on Aol, Netscape, Google...
    Search Engine Consultant - Do not risk your business using basic search engine ranking software.
    Read this article Use AgentWebRanking Professional edition. www.agentwebranking.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At www.positiontech.com for $30 per annum you can get your site listed on the inktomi database in 48 hours. Not a lot of money really.

It does not guarantee any form of ranking however.

PsiFox

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely don't "keyword stuff" your pages AND don't make your text the same color as your background. Those are big red flags for "SPAM". Most SE's will ban you for using these "promotion" methods. Stick to keyword-rich wording on your site as aspen said. Then optimize your meta tags and create a plain-text site map. Check for broken links and fix them.

Once that is all done, try to get some links pointing to your site (for popularity) and submit to the SE's and directories. Paid inclusion is the way to go. Inktomi and AV are now offering paid inclusion services (with FAST not far behind).

Finally, if you have any advertising money, do some research on GoTo and other PPC engines to find cheap, quality keywords. Look for search terms that apply to you, but don't cost very much. You should be pleased at the results you get.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keywords for your pages tips go to

Hi Guys,

Here is my link to a site that answers alot of
    questions about keywords and the articles tell
    you how to set up your pages for them too.

I will be up front and tell you that this is
    my affiliate link, so if you click I will get
    credit for it if you buy something.

But there is lots of info without buying
    too.
    [EDITED]
    **We do not allow affilitate links or advertising on these forums**
    Last edited by beley; Aug 18, 2001 at 13:57.
    Be Careful Of The Words You Say
    Keep Them Soft And Sweet
    You Never Know From Day To Day
    Which Ones You`ll Have To Eat.