User Tag List

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

migrating from PHP3 to 4

Hi there.

My site, which gets hundreds of users a day is down because my host has upgraded from php3 to 4 with NO WORD OF WARNING WHATSOEVER.

You can imagine my dismay after coming back off holiday to find the whole site coming up with 501 errors because of a PHP3 magic quotes directive in the root .htaccess.

Anyway, having sorted that problem, it is clear there are a LOT of other issues at stake, and it is goign to involve a lot of work and recoding (which I am VERY unhappy about)

For a start, my forums run off a different mysql db than the rest of the site, and it's no longer giving permission to access that db.

All of my coding seems to no longer work - can someone please enlighten me on the main things that need to be changed.

Thanks,
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I would strongly encourage you to read up at www.php.net on migrating from php3 to php4.

on a general note, go to:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.migration4.php

While your host was certainly wrong in updating to php4 without notice, i would say its a blessing in disguise. Should have upgraded a long time ago. Many things have changed and its for the better though i cna't understand what the upgrade could have caused since php4 was designed to be compatible with older versions.

All the best!
    Last edited by lynlimz; Aug 11, 2001 at 06:47.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein