SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never become an affiliate

I am not saying that all the companies that offer affiliate programs do not keep their promise and pay the due commission to the zealot affiliates. But you as a site woner or webmaster should alwasy remember there are lots of tricks that will be played against you while you faithfully send the sale leads to the companies you are affiliated with. For instance, the cache set up in the visitor's computer may only survive for only 8 hours or 24 hours or in the first 7 or 10 days. If the visitor does not make any pruchase as the thing is always so, then you advertise for the company for nothing.

Many new webmasters have no experience with this sounds-good affiliate programs, and sign up for tons of affiliate programs and do hundreds links. After one month, they find they get quite a lot of click-through, but they do not see much commission in their accounts.

Affiliate programs are one of the best ways for the businesses to advertise their services and or products almost risk-free. What the webmasters or site owners get is the feeing of being fooled.

JohnR

http://DomainManual.com
    JohnR
    Http://DomainManual.com

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never drive a car

I'm not saying all cars are bad, but oh my. Cars are terrible! They break down when least expected, they require care and maintenance, they suck up gas like you wouldn't believe, and they put more money into the already fat pockets of CEO's. What's worse is accidents. Cars can kill you if you aren't careful. Never, ever drive a car.

Sounded pretty ridiculous, huh?

True, some affiliate programs can really screw you over. They don't set cookies on the visitors computer, making me, the affiliate, lose money when that same visitor returns 3 weeks later and purchases the product. But please note, not all affiliate programs are like this. Many are fabulous and are helping people like you and me earn a nice living.

Please don't discourage new webmasters from using affiliate programs because they "might not pay". Instead, teach new webmasters how to research information about prospective affiliate programs. Show them how to select programs that will work successfully for their website.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree not all companies--

Yes, what you said is just what I said. Not ALL companies do not keep their promise.

The problem is how to choose. I am not sure what percentage of the companies do the affiliate programs without due integrity, but I am pretty sure the majority of them are not of integrity. Even if all the companies you deal with are trsutworthy, your success will depend in a big part on yourself. Your diligence, skill, time, and luck. I used to think being an affiliate is a way to make some good money now that I have quite some traffic to my site. I used to link hundreds of sites through linkshare.com. I spent lots of time setting up the links. And I got quite some traffic. As a result, I did make a few, but only a few bucks. Maybe I can not competely complain about the companies I deal with. Maybe I did not work hard enough.

If you have a site, if you do not join any affiliate program, you would otherwise lose the resource, then you would be gratified if you get a few bucks through some affiliate program. But for most people, affiliate programs can not be a way for you to get rich even through some companies claim they pay out thousands, ten thousands dollars to the top affiliates.

The reason I do not recommed people to participate in affiliate program is because I am afraid that they spend too much time for getting too much disappointment. If anyone sees this message, would you please let me know your comment on affiliate program if you have ever been an affiliate. If anyone who has been successfully making the amount of money that deserves your time, please post your comment here. I would like to see how many people are so lucky. Thanks.

JohnR
    http://DomainManual.com
    JohnR
    Http://DomainManual.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,

I think the main problem people have with affiliate programs is that they do not choose a program that fits their websites theme. Or they choose an affiliate program that offers them the world in exchange for no work.

Your thread title should read "choose an affiliate program carefully" not "never become an affiliate".

eCommerceBase has a great section on affiliate programs titled "How-to-guide for generating revenue from affiliate programs." available at: http://www.ecommercebase.com/subcats/23
    ---
    Free custom screen savers for your website.
    http://www.1234screensavers.com
    Join our affiliate program!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do pretty okay with affiliate programs :-)

Actually, I'd say 90% of the affiliate programs I've ever promoted has been tracking sales/leads/clicks well and has paid me right on time. (There have been several "bad" ones too, but I dropped those immediately when I didn't see the results I was expecting)

I don't agree that the "majority are not of integrity". In my experience this has not been the case. I've received checks from 20-30 different companies over the last year - and not one single of them didn't pay me what I was owed (3 of them delayed my checks for a _long_ time, but I got them eventually :-).

JohnR: One tip in order to identify the good ones: Limit the amount of affiliate programs you're promoting relative to the traffic you have, thus making you able to quicker identify whether a certain affiliate program performs for you or not. It's much easier to test the programs if you send 100 clicks a day to one (or a few) program(s) than if you send 1 click a day to each of 100 different programs - if you see my point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting

I find this interesting as I am developing an Affilliate option for our site.

Someone was saying sites rely on cookies to determine where the user came from, thats not relly any good, if you, like me, delete your cookies every so often.

My plan is to create a program that records where the user came from ie. the affilliate, then if & when the user signs up, the affilliate ID is permanently stored in that users profile, any bets they place a % is given straight to the affilliate.

This I thought is how most affilliates work, no?

Splay
    Project Manager

http://www.IBetYoureWrong.com

SitePoint Enthusiast webman1000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad apples

There are always going to be some companies, no matter the industry, that are unjust and cheat their affiliates. However, I think that it is important to note that there are many affiliate programs that are fair and provide a generous income for webmasters. I don't think it is fair to generalize and call most, if not all, programs bad.

That is the benefit of these forums. It is here to point out bad companies and to recommend companies that are fair and pay on time. Rather than calling all affiliate programs bad, tell us what ones you have had bad luck with and recommend some that you had success with.

Russ