SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Web Designer's Success Guide compared to Brendon's business kit?

Hey everyone! Got a question: Has anyone read Airgid Web Designer's Success Guide? I looked at the sample chapter and liked his style. I'm looking at it as a companion to the more 'hard sell' style of the web business kit (which I own). Just wondered if anyone had thoughts? I mean it looks good, but I remember another freelance web book whos authors site looked like it was done in FrontPage.....
    Erik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well elemental, I used to think the same about the authors website. Oops, I still do! but the important isn't the quality of their webiste, but their message. Brendon sells websites because he can convince anyone that he is a professional and is going to deliver great results (well, you own the book!), for some people he is a used car salesman, for me and other, he is almost a guru (not quite yet Brendon, take it easy now fellow!) but he knows what he is doing and talking about; that's for sure.

I know that my life would be a LOT harder if I haven't read Brendon's book. Now I have insight information about webdesign and he is a real inspiration for all us. BUT, I have to say it; I now bought Guerrilla Marketing and is like the Web Design Business Kit; it's the same. The same advices, almost the same book. I don't know if Brendon copy it, or if he just didn't want to give away he's secrets and instead he wrote only the "basis" of Marketing, but I know that Guerrilla and WDBK are the "final complement" if you want to start a webdesign business.

Now, I don't know about Airgid (never heard of it) guide, but I know that there aren't too much advices once you reach "what everyones know" knoledgment, so you may be end up buying book after book and they all would sound the same, like if they were writen by the same person. Be aware of buying a guide or a book thinking that you may end up with success or rich; everything depends on your own discipline and your own way of thinking. I did that mistake once, just wanted to let you know.

SO:
    Maybe (just maybe) if you find that Airgid Web Designer's Success Guide is pretty much the same than Brendon's wrote, I won't be surprised about it.
    CLEAR.YOUR.MIND weblog. Usability and User Centered Design
    You're a developer? then you're going to love this blog
    Improve your visitors experience TODAY!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only $25. Compared to the WDBK it's a no-brainer - buy it and see if you like it. Even if you get one good tip out of the book, it'll be worth the $25.

I just saw it for the first time after reading your post and googling the name... looks interesting.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bound to be something of use in it and for $25 it's hardly the biggest decision you'll make this week, but from what I've read on the site, it doesn't seem to be particularly enticing.

Doesn't appear to be any chapter about sales which I feel is possibly the most important part of a freelancer's job. BUt I guess sales techniques are best covered in dedicated sales books written by sales experts.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    although there is no chapter on sales... through out the book i talk about how to work with clients and achive better sales?? what type of sales info are you looking for?

- author of book in question
    - Kevin Airgid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin I'm looking for a different approach. I like Brendons book and have it but I find he does an extremely hard sell, which is not always effective. I followed his advice and was beat out on price (the site was worth $4000 but he got some students who did it for 1200) so thats it.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    elemental70 - the site was obviously not worth $4000 to them. That's something most people don't understand - supply and demand. If you had effectively presented that the solution you could have provided was better because ... then they might have chosen your proposal. Instead, you presented no better value to them than the students. If the only comparing factor is price, then that's what the prospect will go on.

I've bid projects at times when my bid was a good bit higher then the next highest bid. I've won them because I demonstrated a better value for that money than the next guy. In the end, it's like shopping for a car. A BMW might be a lot more expensive than a Chevy, but its presented as more value. They're both cars, and go from a to b. What makes one more expensive than the other? Perceived value.

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elemental70
    Kevin I'm looking for a different approach. I like Brendons book and have it but I find he does an extremely hard sell, which is not always effective. I followed his advice and was beat out on price (the site was worth $4000 but he got some students who did it for 1200) so thats it.
    Welcome to the world of sales! Brandon's correct. Until you establish value, any price is too high. As pointed out, value can be real or perceived. Clients view tangible value as a commodity. So our products, service or features do not really provide any additional value because most of our competitors can also provide that same tangible value -- often for a lower cost, as you just found out.

Perceived value, on the other hand, is intangible and for that reason, it's subjective. There are a myriad of ways to add intangible value, depending on what your client thinks is valuable. But a crucial component is to realize that how you interact with the prospect is more important than what you're selling. Your product/service may be a commodity, but you are unique. Capitalizing on that uniqueness is the key to successfully adding intangible value. That, in a nutshell, is "selling," IMO.

I'm gathering from your post that this is really what you're looking for help with. If so, here's a few resources I can recommend:

High Probability Selling. This book is really nothing more than an overview of their $800+ sales course, but in spite of that, it's worth the read. It will give you an entirely different view of selling, one that's 180 degrees away from the type of sales techniques advocated in the WDBK.

Honest Selling. Spend some time reading his articles, then buy the book, or read it online for free.

Eyes on Sales. A literal black hole of great sales articles to get sucked into.

Million Dollar Consulting: The Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice. The bottom line is, if you want to sell your services to businesses, then you've got to step into the role of a consultant, or forever be losing projects to the lowest bidder. This book is a great way to wrap your head around that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Sitepoint books always get great reviews from members here. I always wanted buy the business kit but the cost is a bit more than I can handle. So...like someone said..buying this book won't be the biggest decision you make. Right now, I'm considering mainly because I like ppl that's straight up and not full of crap.

"I don't claim you will make a million dollars after you read this book, but it will give you insight into ways to succeed."

"This book isn't about theory, it is about practical applications you can use right away."

The above are a few quotes from the author about the book and I like what he says. I'm not exactly a theory person nor do I expect to get rich overnite. So if I buy this, if you buy this, I don't think it's a complete waste of money.

i'M sure you already bought this anyways...lol.
    DepthSkins - Affordable professional web designs
    Email - For quotes and more info.