SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you charge for advertising?

How do you charge your advertisers for advertising? Do you request a check? Credit card?

I'm thinking of selling advertising on my site in the future, and was wondering how I should charge my advertisers.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can set up as many differnet ways of paying as your can.

I would say the two main ways are check and credit card, Its always good to have a credit card system set up if you can do it.

You may want to consider pay pal payments as well, No one may ever want to pay this way, But if they do You will be able to let them.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does everyone work with refunds? Do you have any non-refund policies? What do you do about advertisers who aren't satisfied with the results they get once their campaign is finished?

Between credit card payments and checks, which do you think would be best for a site just entering online advertising?

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start by just accepting checks and wire transfers. Ask for 50% upfront.

By the way: This is an extremely bad time to be entering online advertising. I hope you have multiple revenue streams or your site reaches an extremely attractive audience, for example, doctors who earn $150,000 per year or more and who like to golf.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ]How does everyone work with refunds? Do you have any non-refund policies? What do you do about advertisers who aren't satisfied with the results they get once their campaign is finished?

well its simple this, You should make a contract with the advertiser for what you are meant to deliver, this could be as simple as saying 10,000 impressions at this amount. The thin about makegoods is really upto you, most people have plenty of spare ad inventry.

If soemone is not satified you should accomadate them as much as possible, this can be frm cheaper rates top free ad sace.

Its really uto you on howw much the advertsier is worth to you.

I mean you night Between credit card payments and checks, which do you think would be best for a site just entering online advertising?

Checks shouldl always be your start point, But get a Credit card system as up as quick as possible, i don't have this yet but thats caue I can't, I would think its best to get as sooon s possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How do you charge for advertising?

Originally posted by computertim
    How do you charge your advertisers for advertising? Do you request a check? Credit card?

I'm thinking of selling advertising on my site in the future, and was wondering how I should charge my advertisers.

Thanks.
    We require payment up front in full for CPM or email campaigns. CPC campaigns we require a deposit and then charge/refund based upon performance.

We accept checks and credit payments and would consider PayPal payments, although that has not come up so far...

Refunds is another issue that has not yet come up - we've never had anyone claim or ask for one and our contract for CPM/Email Campaigns does not allow for a refund claim except in the case of Fraud...

Hope this helps,
    Bryan

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bstrawse, how do you calculate the deposit for CPC campaigns?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    bstrawse, how do you calculate the deposit for CPC campaigns?
    That's always a tough one.. on my sites that have been around long enough to judge the effectiveness of a campaign, I ask for a 30-40% estimate of what I believe the campaign will do in the billing period (usually month long campaigns) - and then invoice/refund the client appropriately.

I have the capability of having my ad software (adcycle) simply shut off the campaign after X number of clicks delivered - some clients only want so much traffic per month due to their advertising budget, so this also works well.

Hope this helps - I'm curious what other folks are doing..

Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do you handle refunds?
    We make all advertisers agree to the dkAds to Advertiser agreement on their sign up form. This basically states that the only refunds that will be awarded will be if we stop the campaign early. The advertiser cannot demand a refund at any time as 'all sales are final.'

We have had advertisers wait for the whole 4,000 click campaign to finish then bug us to refund them their payment because they didn't like the speed of the campaign, or something equally trivial. We just point to the contract

The idea is not to screw them out of money, but rather to protect our selves from advertisers who would take advantage of a lenient refund policy.
    Dan Ushman <dan@ratestar.net>
    Make Money or Advertise on dkAds Network - www.dkAds.com

List your hosting company or find a web host on www.HostingCatalog.com