SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS, what is it?

I question I was wondering just now....Is Cascading Style Sheets server or client side technology? I can see both sides, I think.

And what is the difference anyway? I can't seem to grasp that aspect.
    -LadyLily
    You know the Legend of Zelda Series?
    Who doesn't?
    Link's Worlds

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSS is a client-side technology. the difference is that a server-side technology is processed on the server and a client-side technology is processed by your browser (in the case of a request for a web site). for example, a perl script being run occurs on the server-side, but javascript being interpreted by your web browser occurs on the client-side.

Jason Weinstein
    http://www.MaximumEdge.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically the difference between client-side and server-side is where it is processed. With PHP or Perl, which are server-side languages, they are completely processed before anything is sent to the client (browser). With JavaScript or CSS, client-side languages, everything is sent to the client and the client does the processing.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The disadvantages of client-side languages are it requires the specific software with support for that laguage.

if its server-side, all you have to do is get a server which supports that specific language. when it is accessed, say php, its retrieved by the user like any normal html page.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additionally there are performance issues.

Client side technologies like JavaScript tend to render more slowly (you'll notice on sites with a lot of JavaScript because the client has to download the script and then execute it [which also adds processing requirements into the equation]).

With server side scripts, everything is done on the server (plus, servers tend to be fast and built to run one application at a time: webserver software).
    Last edited by Aes; Aug 12, 2001 at 17:33.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.