SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of eCity Hosting

I am at the point where I can not continue any further. I can not see or think of any other improvements to my site. www.ecityhosting.ca

I am biased and am looking for good aconstructive critique of the site. Any feedback Good or Constructive would be appriciated. Thank you in advance for your the time you have taken to review the site.

Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

My first thought is that the main index page is extremely busy. There is so much information there, I am pretty confident most of it will not get read. The site news appearing in the small frame was missed by my until I viewed the page several times. How many others will completely miss this, or not even scroll the nav bar down to read the older news messages? How about just having one article, then a link to a new page with a news archive? There is just something I hate about frames, which you use again on the domain lookup section.

Apart from this, the site comes across as very professional. I love the telephone number being displayed prominently at the top of the page. Please though, make your logo link to your main index page. People expect to click on a logo at any time to return to the index.

Well done on your design, and good luck with your site!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the general look of the site but as reedy said the home page has too much text, it's hard to know what to read first. Try to remove some icons and put less text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems very busy. Spread things out a little towards the bottom of your website. I like the design, but it has an overwhelming feel when you first view it.

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Color scheme, layout, and general feel is nice. However...

I think the reason why the site feels crowded and busy (as others have suggested) is that you don't have enough cellpadding to your sections. For every section that is surrounded by that 1px silverish border, add padding of at least 4 to see what happens.

There's something going on with your links ("company", "hosting", "domains", etc.). They're looking very fuzzy to me for some reason, like they've been over optimized.
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

First at all, I think you should define a Document Type for your HTML code to meet the HTML standards. I saw your code, and it is very well organized, very clear and clean. Congratulations for that, but as I said, you should define a DTD.

I agree with my friends comment about the "heavy index". I am on Firefox, using a 384kbps conex, and it takes about 5 seconds to load at all. Imagine the time that your site will take to load on a 56kbps dial up conex.

The upperside menu, HOME, DOMAINS, LOGIN. Why do you have the DOMAINS link already in that menu? You should have in that menu something like HOME, MEMBERS and SUPPORT. I mean, links related eachother.

This message at the bottom of the site is confusing for me:

Get started with...
    62 Video Tutorials
    Free "Site Studio" Web Builder
    Customizable Templates
    Domain Name Registration

Where are those 62 videos?... should I have to pay a host plan to see them?... There should be more information abou that, or maybe a link explaining that thing.

Thats all in the meantime. And, I have 2 more "personal" suggestions for you.

1. All the websites have a copyright. You should maybe place one under your bottom links. Something like eCity Hosting 2005, All Rights Reserved.

2. Almost all the hosting companies have LIVE SUPPORT, it means, something like a LIVE CHAT to let the people ask live question to your company and get inmediate answers. You can use this script to do that: http://www.helpcenterlive.com/. It is based on PHP, and is very easy to install. Also, it comes with Ticket support.

I hope you have good luck with your hosting company, and I am sure you will.

Regards,
    Last edited by Takitei; Oct 15, 2005 at 18:34. Reason: Made a mistake on the script URL.
    Takitei
    FAQtion.com - Get answers to your development FAQs now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice design. Also, you should test it using IE, because the text is a little too big. FireFox is ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mozilla Firefox 1.5 BETA, Windows XP, 1280X1024

First impression is bussy... the website is really shouting to me and there is so much content i just don't know where to go. You should take a look at the e-citynews box, i have vertical and horizontal scrollbars.

I really like the followup pages like the company.htm.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout. The colors blend well and it loads pretty fast. It looks like how most hosting site should "look". As usual, the plans are listed on the frontpage. It looks crowded, as what they have mentioned already. Remove uneccessary texts on your plans part. Usually, hosting sites have a link to the complete list of their hosting features. The plan boxes should just contain things such as price, bandwidth, space, and the unique feature that other plans doesn't have. I hope you get wha I mean. LOL...
    Having a support forum is a big factor. Yes I know there's already a support ticketing system. But how bout for those interested customers that need more information or have some questions? You also didn't bother to put up and FAQ page.
    I was just wondering why you said:

I am at the point where I can not continue any further. I can not see or think of any other improvements to my site. www.ecityhosting.ca
    I don't really expect, neither do most of us, that hosting sites would frequently change their layout just to say they have made improvements.
    Aren't youhaving that much customers? I suggest adding your site to web hosting directories or normal web directories.
    But of course, all of my suggestions are useles if you don't offer quality hosting. Quality is a big factor.
    Keanetix // Web and Graphic Design BlogFolio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a pretty good design for a hosting site.

Too many hosting sites look alike now.

Someone already said, there is too much going on in the main page, I think if you remove, or condense some of the text below your plans it will improve that.

A rollover image to show which link the mouse is over would also help.

Nice design overall I think
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design, it is all a bit clustered for me, i can help with design if you wish, you just need to cut a few things out, well quite a few its crouded its like trying to find a needle in a haystack, its not to easy, The text size should be continuois it varies from size to size, try and keep it all the same,

I like the layout though, and graphical design itself

Good luck im sure you will do well

Contact me on forum@instanthosting.net if you need anymore help with anything

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well layed out but I got tired reading all that information, theres too much there. You want to attract customers and let them know everything you offer, but try to split the information onto more pages because there is simply too much on that page.