User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where Do You Get Your Motivation?

Hello Guys,

I don't know about all of you but I work from my house doing what I do, some days I feel like I can do anything on here then there's some days where I feel like doing nothing at all because I'm afraid I'll fail miserably at my career. I was just wondering where do you all get your motivation to keep going on and doing what you do for your business?

Thanks,
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that setting concrete goals helps me to stay focused. I generally have two goals at any given time:

- Accomplishment goals, like "write five posts a day"
    - Financial goals, like "make $10,000 this month"

One keeps me moving, the other gives me something to look forward to and encourages me to find a way there.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think back to what it was like working for someone else, having to get up at 5.30am every morning to travel 30+ miles into the city. The job itself was OK (just), but I didn't derive very much satisfaction from it, and with a young family, it didn't suit my desired lifestyle.
    Comparing that lifestyle with my current work/life balance (which is fantastic) keeps me in the groove!

Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins
    I work from my house doing what I do, some days I feel like I can do anything on here then there's some days where I feel like doing nothing at all because I'm afraid I'll fail miserably at my career.
    I'm sure we all have days like that every now and then. I work from home as well, and I use this type of situation to my advantage by spending some quality time with my wife and kids. I know the motivation spark will be back the next day (and if it isn't, thinking about my old job helps too!).

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input so far, all of it makes perfect sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work with another person, so we keep each other motivated. If I was to work by myself, I would set myself goals which I had to meet each day, otherwise I could see myself getting distracted very easily.

You shouldn't be worried about failing at your career; you should put that energy into improving your business and see where it takes you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Money, success, power! Although I have yet to make a red cent, I'd say these 3 factors are what drive me most, in that order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's an interesting question you got there my friend. I have a little secret (well, isn't a secret at all) that I'm going to reveal here. I just posted about it on my blog. Is a little bit extense so I can't cover up all here as I would like, but I give you an extract that may cover all the suject.

I discover this technique in Napoleon Hill Book "Think and Grow Rich", some of you may know about it, its called "Invisible Counselors".

Here is the extract:
    The process is simple, you sit back and close your eyes, then, instead of start thinking on your problems and how YOU can solve them you call your counselors right away. You start using your imagination to talk with people you admire and respect, people who may have the answer for your concern and maybe, who can give you advices on how you may solve your problem.

Letís say you respect, admire and follow Steve Jobs ideals, letís say for a momment that he is the business man you admire the most. Well, if you read all his biographies, interviews or books that he may wrote out there (donít know if he wroted one, got to check) you may have a pretty good idea on how he will solve a problem similar to yours. You may think he would take a different action, that if you think go right he may really think go left because you arenít in his head really, you are in yours. Wrong, most of the time you can figure how he will take action if you really know how the guy thinks.

Ok, letís say what we got. You are in your desk, siting back and with your eyes closes talking with Steve Jobs in your head. He is in another chair talking with you, giving you advices that you never thought you will come up with. ďDarn, this is just incredible, how can this stuff be coming out my headĒ you may think. Well, Iím not pretty sure how it does, maybe is a hide part of your own mind that can put into another manís shoes, maybe brain is ďmultitaskingĒ as windows supposed to be! But it happens, and oh boy you get answers, let me tell you.
    One of my counselors is someone you know! It starts with B...S..air. Yup! Got no access to it because you know, he doesn't comment on his blog a lot so I have to try it on my head.

Is a really interesting question that one you asked. I also get some inspiration from TV series like The Apprentice or Million Dollar Agents (with Carlos Justo, the Guru of Real State's business!)

Most important at all, YOU HAVE TO FIND NEW MOTIVATION ONCE THE CURRENT ONE YOU HAVE START VANISHING, this is what I always see:

People is inspired, they may read a book or watch something on TV, talked with a friend, or something. Two months later, that inspiration start to dissapear. People always make one lazy try to get more inspiration, but because the effort is weak they don't make it (we all don't make it). Then, when things are really bad and they don't have inspiration at all, when they KNOW really deep inside they are in the right path but they need something else, something outside that inspire them to keep going, they really start looking for inspiration. In the middle I see an empty space, something that can't be filled in; maybe a month or 5 weeks. In that "hole" we don't have inspiration at all, we need to fill that hole quickly!

That's what I think we miss sometimes. Then we buy a book or talk with someone or seek inspiration, but what if we seek MORE inspiration, motivation, whatever you want to call it when we are already inspired? I think that way we will get twice a shot and it will last longer, don't you agree?

Well, I hope we all find the amount of motivation to have success in business and start being the other people motivation!
    CLEAR.YOUR.MIND weblog. Usability and User Centered Design
    You're a developer? then you're going to love this blog
    Improve your visitors experience TODAY!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins
    Hello Guys,

I don't know about all of you but I work from my house doing what I do, some days I feel like I can do anything on here then there's some days where I feel like doing nothing at all because I'm afraid I'll fail miserably at my career. I was just wondering where do you all get your motivation to keep going on and doing what you do for your business?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Good topic Scott.

What motivates me is honestly the members and actual customers on my forum. Generally, when I'm having bad days, I tend to visit the forums and read some of the inspirational comments left about the services and/or products being sold. It might sound silly, but it's very true.

The bad days are generally the ones when absolutely no coin comes in. But that seems to change pretty quick when there is money coming in. Money would honestly be the number one method of motivation for me, since when I'm making money, keeps me very motivated and productive.

When there is no money for the day or few days, it's almost like "hmm, now I have to do this all over again today and not get paid"? There is no motivation happening there. Also, you mentioned you are working from home, you can only motivate yourself to some extent, but you would most likely feel much more motivated if you had a team or worked with others.

Either way, everyone has a different overview of this and that, and it depends on how long you have been doing the same thing. For me, money would be the biggest thing as I've been doing this since 2000.

Regards,
    Peter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    shockbotkins, I came across this blog last night which has tons of tips on staying focused and motivated - http://www.to-done.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a couincidence Egor! I came across the same exact blog just last night aswell. Its a good blog, I bookmarked it myself.
    Strategic Command Center

"What's a small napoleon and where would i find one"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get my motivation from the goals I have set and seeing others just like me succeed.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I build a timeline at the start of each project, and then I make appts with clients and give them an idea of where on the timeline we will be when I next see them. That forces me to keep up with things...