SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IPB move to vB because of skinning changes? Should I?

I've been with IPB for quite a while now after a year on phpBB. Been loving it. Used the default skin for quite a while and grew my forums w/ the out of the box look and feel. But I recently got a custom skin done. It looks awesome. But now my board is still 2.0.x and the official release is 2.1.x. So in order to upgrade, I need to get a new skin because the skinning engine has changed yet again.

It's about time for me to get a new license for IPB. I had just gotten the one year. But now it's time to get the perpetual one. OR.....go with vB. My question is will IPB change the skinning engine yet again for future versions meaning I will have to pay to get my skin upgraded each time? Or will it be similar enough? But the same question would go to vB. How much do the skinning methods stay the same? How easily is it to upgrade skins when vB versions change?

Stay or go?
    Now Here........ Mississippi Sports Talk
    This is me blog... StateDOG.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude skins will always need upgrading, regardless of product, when major releases are made. A lot of people simply decide not to upgrade due to investment in skins and hacks, and new releases not having anything to excit them. Hence there's still a lot of IPB 1.3.1 and vB 2.x.x sites our there.

I help run an IPB skinning site and our skinner has entered the race at 2.1.1 level, unfort the other skinner we were hoping to get is sick and tired of upgrading her skins with releases, having done so three times so far.

So yeah a number of people aren't best pleased with the release schedules, but what the heck. BTW, at least for invision, you are better off getting your skin remade than upgraded. Nope we don't have the time to do it, as are building our portfolio and already have five custom skins, and 2 entire websites in the queue to do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally moved away from IPB when it went paid only. You may recognize my name if you frequented a certain IPB support site. The new IPB skinning engine was too complicated for me to bother to re-learn. If they keep upgrading the skin engine so that current skins need to be remade, well that's just too much darn work imo. There used to be a converter included in the skin engine. If that is no longer the case, I'd find another forum software. Otherwise you'd have to chase down the skinner to remake your skin every upgrade. Simply rediculous.

I have made many IPB skins over the last few years. I couldn't be bothered to upgrade them all. Certainly not as a free service that's for sure. So yeah, I gave up on using IPB. I'm sure many have.

Currently I use and highly recommend Simple Machines (previously YABB).
    A FREE forum software.