SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UK Business books...

Hi there, can anyone suggest some business books? I'm from an art background and I really don't have a clue about the ins and outs of running a business. I don't even know what half the terms used mean! I'm looking for something that is UK based and covers everything from startup and financing to running costs and on to profits and tax (and retiring young - I wish!).

Cheers in advance for any replies.
    "Everything should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler" - Albert Einstein

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy moly ... that's alot of information.
    Sounds like you need 40 books worth of a personal MBA to me

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd check out the BusinessLink website which explains all you need to know. You can give them a call and get free advice as well (well, I say free, it all comes out of your taxes ).

I'd steer clear of books personally. I bought a couple when I first started out earlier this year and thought they were a waste of money. Really dull and don't set out the facts clearly enough in my opinion.
    Sam Hastings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are literally loads of business books in the library, check out the ones done by banks - and I would also do the same as SJH says and ask the Business Link people.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a load of books a few years ago and they weren't that good. They were full of adverts and sponsors. I ended up using Google to get all my answers.

I don't know most of the business/tax jargon like what gross and net are but have figured out how to complete the self accessment form for the last couple of years without problem. I even bought quickbooks but it seemed stupidly complex so just created a few spreadsheets in Open Office that I update yearly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice,

I was thinking a book 'cos I know nothing about business at all, processes and concepts etc. Checked out business link there's a lot of info there, I've also found my local office so I'll be off down there today.
    "Everything should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler" - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gross means you've added something.
    Net means you've taken something away.

I would also check out your local colleges to see if they have evening classes on business studies, accountancy, etc -- most evening courses are free.

Also, if you went to a University they may have a place that helps students into business, the University I went to had evening classes on business and enterprenuership and because I was a graduate I could go practically for free.