SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forums Quick search at top of this page

Sitepoint have added a useful forum search box at the top of all the pages. I did have a quick look into it and it seems that the search will return results for users and the content of the forums.

What's the best way to do this?

TIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha. what do you mean by whats the best way to do that?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about instead of laughing at board viewers you actually help them.

Here is an artcile by a more respectable site than this at http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/clay19990421.php3 that should lead you in the right direction.

They also have a forum there where your questions actually get answered and not laughed at.
    signature

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by webc0der

Here is an artcile by a more respectable site than this at http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/clay19990421.php3 that should lead you in the right direction.

They also have a forum there where your questions actually get answered and not laughed at.
    hey dude. i don't think he was laughing at him. lay off...

the guy wan't very clear about what he wants to do so i thought the same thing.

i guess you would just make a form action that points to the search page. it doesn't matter that it's at the top of the forums.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by webc0der

Hey, I don't know whats your problem with my post, but I was merely clarifying the details of his post. Certainly not meant to laugh at the poster.
    Last edited by lynlimz; Aug 11, 2001 at 23:41.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the thing with text based comms. How one person express emotions is open to interpretation by others. I came to the conclusion to not express too many emotions or try to introduce sarcasm or jokes too much on forums unless there is over use of smilies. Rules out problems like the above

Anyway, thanks for ALL of the comments. If I wasn't clear before, I meant what was the best way to do it with vBulletin. Is there a way you can add it into the templates or a hack you can use.

I posted in three boards about this so I appreaciate that this is the only place to reply so far.

Last friday I did start to do it the simple way, write a form that posts to the search.php page and it's working fine.

Cheers all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh Huh...I get what you mean now.
    Cool. Yep...creating a search form with <input type="hidden"..> fields to store the basic values for the basic search function would be more then sufficient.

Though I cna't help since I don't own access to a copy of vbulletin.
    All the best! And yep..
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thats pretty much how I've done it. You know what, I posted on the vBulletin forum and I've had no response at all. Waste of space I say, I don't care if there are x members. If they are not talking then whassup with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Tommy Lai
    Yeah, thats pretty much how I've done it. You know what, I posted on the vBulletin forum and I've had no response at all. Waste of space I say, I don't care if there are x members. If they are not talking then whassup with that
    Its their lost. haha. We didn't leave you behind.
    -- Albert Einstein