User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver Libraries

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but it's the closest I could find here.

I am using Dreamweaver 4 to create my new web site. I have both a header and footer that I'd like to update easily. I understand I can do this by using dreamweaver's library, I have been using experimenting with it, and think I understand it now.

I'd just like to know what those of you who have Dreamweave think about it, how efficient and reliable is it? Any problems for anyone?

Thanks,

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the second time, cursed ISP

I use Library Items and I think they're great. Some people may suggest using PHP Includes or SSI because they do effectively the same thing. In the long run it doesn't matter really. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both.

Libraries are easy to use and don't require a lot of effort on your part. However they can only be editted with DW itself so if you've to make changes on the fly for a client at their location you could be stuck.

SSI/PHP have the distinct disadvantage that they're server side so can't really be viewed offline without using some form of PWS. They also require server side technology which might not always be present.

Libraries add a couple of extra lines of code to your page (purely for DW's benefit) but given the extra load time incurred by accessing a seperate file there's no real difference. Overall use the one that's best for you. I personally use Libraries and Templates in all my sites and find them a godsend for updating and maintaining things from a central location.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've attempted to use the libraries with limited success. I get the whole concept in creating the library item but when I go and place it on my page it won't go exactly where I want it to. For example, I created a table on one page and saved it as a library item. Then I went to my actual web page that I was working on and tried to insert the item. Well what happened was that the item would appear on the new page in the exact same place that it was saved in from the previous page. The only way I could get it to show up in different places was to put it into a layer and we all know how fun those can be... I must be doing something wrong - any thoughts????

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to be working for me, I just wanted to know if anyone had any problems or issues with it.

It shows up where I want it if I just click wher I want it to be and then insert the item. It does kind of distort the look of the page, but when previewed or published, it looks like I want it to.

Thanks,

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Libraries with mixed results.
    I usually use them for Headers & Footers without problems.

When I make a sidebar menu though (usually javaswapped images in a table) , it hasn't worked well. I'll get positioning problems, link erros, etc. and it's often more trouble than not to fix. SO I end up doing a total cut and past and fixing things by hand.

One aspect of PHP/SSI that might be better is uploading. After updating them, you usually only need to upload the changed info one. On a library Item, you have to re-upload every page that uses the library item.

Still I'd rather have them then not.
    I still have yet to use templates though.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography