User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Much Money Should I Pay a Marketer?

Hi,

I recently created a software program which it turns out folks are interested in buying, so I'm now rushing to market it as a product.

As I'm quite new to marketing my own product, I'm hoping to partner with an experienced Internet marketer. The thing I'm wondering is:

What payment arrangement do think would work best for myself and the marketer?

Looking forward to your input, thanks everyone,

Jeremy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incentive is a great thing. Put him on 50% profit share and you will make more money than putting him on 25%.

Edit: Forget profit share, make it 50% sale price and he can't feel like you're exaggerating any expenses to cut into his share. I do this with a programmer friend and find him working at 3am many nights of the week.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with a marketing consultant taking on any job for profit share is that it assumes the marketer is solely responsible for the success of the product - he's not. For a start, the product could suck, the customer service could be awful, continuing product development may be non-existant, internal company politics or personal problems may cause the company to fold etc etc. Unless the consultant is given a true partnership in the company and develops an active relationship and voice in all aspects of the business, he'd be (IMO) a sucker to take on a profit share only deal.

Sure it could work out well, but I think it's too much risk. PErsonaly, I'd be looking for a company to have the confidence in their product and business plan to be able to cough up my consulting fees from the outset.

A few years ago one of my clients approached me with a business idea and he needed me to build the site and market it. But I was brought in as an official 50/50 partner in the business and have equal voice in all matters relating to the buisness and take equal risks on all expenses. This has worked out well for me, but I only took it on because I had a fantastic existing relationship with the guy, knew his product was premium quality and I had and continue to help shape all aspects of the business with him.