SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Script for MS Word like text editing?

I'm not sure whether they're using Java or JavaScript, but at communities.msn.com, to post a thread, they have a MS Word like interface.

They have a toolbar that allows you to select fonts, sizes, bold, italic, bullet points, etc. And all the effects shows up in real time.

Is there a place where I could get that script? It's basically a simple web based text editor that works in real time, I get a feeling that it'll only work in IE, but still wanna try it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there is another one like this at SiteExperts , which is where I found the one I used. The scripting for the one I used on my site as a test is however extremely complicated to me, but I have managed to set it up.

SiteExperts had a full on tutorial on how to do this, but they've changed the tutorial and is now giving very limited examples on the topic. I could give you the script that I use for it, as soon as I find it. But if you in the meantime wanna see if you can find it on SiteExperts, goto their search section, then search on Web Based WYSIWYG Editor. Once again, I do not think that their tutorial will help much, so let me see if I can find the scripts I used.

I will be working on it at http://www.pip.co.za/includes/scripts/gotmail/

I will let you know as soon as I have this up
    - Pip
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agr...having trouble finding it at SiteExperts...searched for the keyword mentioned and other combinations as well with no luck...maybe they changed the pages again or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allright, well here is the one I used. I simplified the script a bit to be slightly more understandable, however I have not added comments or anything like that.

This is a very basic version of what you're looking for. I've seen some of them that looks pretty awesome and work like a bomb, but I'm sure you should be able to work from this.

http://www.pip.co.za/includes/scripts/gotmail/

Just to get your understanding under the wing, this script is provided in two different pages. The editor itself is a page on it's own, then the main page includes the editor in an OBJECT tag. View the source of both. To see the source for the editor, click here

Gimmie a shout if you need help!
    - Pip
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Pip...you're building that yourself? Kudos to you man. That's great.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx Creole. The reason I am employed as a web designer is because I get to learn new things every minute of my working day. Then again, don't we all?
    - Pip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you plan on offering this as a free package? THis would be PERFECT to build into a COntent Mangement System.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe once I have all the bugs and errors sorted out, I might consider that, although I've pretty much done with it what I wanted to. Mainly figuring out the code and as soon as I could write the whole thing myself, I put it behind my back and moved on to bigger and better things.

It's all about knowing how. Once I know how, I am no longer interested in making it better, just because I know I can make it better!
    - Pip