SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How Quick Should I Expect Payment?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 Days

0 0%
  • 1 Week

2 20.00%
  • 2 Weeks

4 40.00%
  • 1 Month

3 30.00%
  • 2 Months

1 10.00%
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How Quick Should I Expect Payment?

Hi Guys,

I'd like your thoughts on the following: how long is reasonable when waiting for payment? I'm talking about payment of an invoice for a service already provided (say the end of a design job).

I would think 2 weeks is about max. You?

Many thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, eodge, it really depends. The latest I've even been payed is two weeks after finishing the job, and that was because of a misunderstanding. Usually, I get payed 1 - 3 days after finishing a project. But, of course, that's the way I work.

Two weeks tops after sending out an invoice seems reasonable to me.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you set a due date on your invoices, people?
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect all my invoices to be paid within 7 days of receipt - 'Payment due strictly upon receipt'. e.g. you receive the invoice, you go straight for your chequebook and post me the money back. 50% of my clients respect this and I respect them in return by performing my work for them with the same speed and efficiency.

For the other 50%: after 7 days I send them a 'did you send out the cheque?' email. If I don't receive it after another 7 days, I send them a red reminder. This usually does the trick.

I have one client who is a persistant non-payer (unfortunately he's my second biggest client). I found out recently that it's his company policy to hold onto invoices for 6 weeks to collect as much interest as possible. I'm currently waiting on a mid-project payment of around 2000. It's 3 weeks late, even though apparently 2 weeks ago it was 'on his desk ready to be posted'. I've sent my red reminder - now I will ring up and remind him that after 30 days, I add a 5% late payment penalty.

When it comes to balancing payment on a project, I usually get paid quite quickly, simply because I refuse to release work/put site live until I do get paid. This tends to encourage rather quick cheque writing.

With mid project payments, I simply stop working for the client until it's due. Even when they pay me, I'll usually not re-start work straight away - they go to the back of the queue as they missed their 'window'.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    I found out recently that it's his company policy to hold onto invoices for 6 weeks to collect as much interest as possible.
    Ba5tards!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    With mid project payments, I simply stop working for the client until it's due. Even when they pay me, I'll usually not re-start work straight away - they go to the back of the queue as they missed their 'window'.
    I like the sound of that. That's where I'm stuck at the moment. I think most of the problems come down to the priorities of the client. If they don't see a need to rush, they won't!

Thanks a mil for your advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    Yes, and I also set a due date in my contracts.
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    I do. I thought it was a fairly standard practice. "Reasonable" is whatever you write into the contract; in my case, I bill at the end of the month on a term 30 day basis. If the client cancels the contract midway, they get invoiced immediately and the bill is due within 15 days.

If the client blows the 30-day marker, I'll send a past due and a request to contact me. If I hear nothing within 15 days (or if the client's been pissing me off in some other way), I'll set a "no pay" killswitch flag in my database that replaces all their copy test boards with a "Discontinued for lack of payment" message. (That actually can have an effect.. I did that to a recent client who never bothered to download any of his copy, and so the only source available was his test boards. He was an hour away from a meeting with his SEO people, checked the board, saw the message, freaked out, and tried to sweet talk me into turning it back on. I insisted on full payment, he made it, I turned him back on and then immediately sent him a contract discontinuance letter.)

If I still hear nothing, I'll send a warning letter. If that doesn't do anything, I'll send the bill to a collector.

To the OP - seriously, though, payment term should be in the contract. The "reasonable amount of time" question should be asked by the client, not by you.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I explain payment completely in my proposal (which also serves as my contract) and "Payment due upon receipt" is at the bottom of each invoice. If I don't hear from the client by the end of the week, I contact them, ask them if they received the invoice, and ask them if there's a problem. I've never had a client go over two weeks without paying.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown