SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Does he need a business license?

I have a question. My neighbor is operating a firewood business. Does he need a license for this? We purchased firewood from him and he told us when we paid him that he would bring us the rest that weekend. We purchased 8 face card and he brought us 4, I had already made the check out and figured that because he is a neighbor and all he would be good for the rest of the wood. Well he wasn't. Now he is telling us we cannot get the rest of the wood. We have also heard around town of other people he has done this too. One tried suing him for it but couldn't get anywhere because he isn't licensed and can't prove he sold it to them. So I am wondering if needs a license and if so where would I report that he doesn't have it. It is ridiculous and I would like to put an end to it before he does this to anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a receipt showing that you ordered 8 cord of wood?

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For starters, contact your local city government. Chances are, he needs a license to conduct any type of business, even if it's out or home. Then try putting a stop payment on the check. If he's already cashed it, file a small claims suit against him personally. It shouldn't matter that you cannot "prove" he sold you the wood or if he's a licensed business. Your cancelled check is proof that you paid him money.