SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In kind price reduction?

We have quoted a price for a database driven web site. As part of our standard contract we ask that our company name and link appear in the footer of the site. The client has asked if we can reduce our price "in kind" for this advertising. We feel we have already given them a reasonable price. Is this a common request? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a client want to reduce your price on for any reason is a common request. I haven't had anyone request it because of the notation of adding a link to their site however. Personally, having a link to your site isn't one of the top ways to get work but depending on the site, can provide some traffic and the "possibility" of a referral. How much that possibility is worth is up to you.

On a side note, many companies have the link as a required part of the contract. If the client doesn't want it on their site, they have to pay a premium to remove it (thus you're not paying to add the link, they're paying to remove it). How you want to treat it is up to you.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a fair point to make from your client, it is after all free advertising for you.

But I do have it as a clause in my contract and like you, when questioned, say that my pricing reflects this and is already reduced accordingly (yeah right).

If it's becoming an issue, I'd agree to remove it but only if they agree to allow me to have it in my portfolio and anywhere else on my site and general marketing. What I wouldn't do is reduce the price of the project - not unless you truly believe that link is going to bring in a lot of business.

In fact if you want to be obstinate, agree to remve the link and raise the cost of the project accordingly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies we appreciate your input.