SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Thin Red Line

What is the thin red line? the line between a site that is a hobby and one that is a business.

Its a line i have been walking for some time, not sure which side i'm on, should be on or can be on.

My site is Canada Kicks *** www.canadaka.net

Canada Kicks *** or CKA is a site to promote Canadian pride and show the world why Canada Kicks ***! A Canadian content portal offering news, pictures, jokes, downloads, shopping and Canadian babes! Canadaka.net also has one of the largest and most active Canadian forums on the internet that welcomes all!
    I started the site in 1998 just as on of my first ever html sites as a school infot4ech project. But i never stopped working on it. I find time here and there, to work on the site. Sometimes i go on spurts working on the site for endless hours. Then I won't touch anything for weeks or months.

BUt recently in the last year, with a new rackserver the site has really started to grow larger and is taking more and more time just to maintin and admin, let alone add new content and features.

Then there is the never ending battle to not loose money, with hosting costs continuely rising, have to balance it out with revenue from advertising.

But at what point does it stop being a hobby? How much time should one devote to such a thing? I mean i love my site and love working on it, i can work for hours, it snot work to me. But its also not putting food on the table really.

I am just wondering what other people have to say about this subject, cuz im sure there are many others like me. Would be good to here some advice maybe, of people that have maybe maid the leap from hobby to business and how they did it. Share your own personal stories, whatever.

SitePoint Evangelist bronze trophy Derek Sheppard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canadaka
    But at what point does it stop being a hobby? How much time should one devote to such a thing? I mean i love my site and love working on it, i can work for hours, it snot work to me. But its also not putting food on the table really.
    Only you can say. It started as a labor of love, now it's turning into a drain. Can you monetize the site and make it worthwhile?
    • Adsense or other ads?
    • Affiliate programs?
    • Link sales?
    • Shopping cart with CKA stuff?
    • Cafe Press logowear?
    • Donations?
    • Membership?
    Looks like you've done some of that. What else can you do?

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It stops being a hobby and starts being a business when your intention is to make a profit. That's the fast and simple. I don't know how Revenue Canada treats it, but the IRS here in the US has some quirky rules. For example, if you loose money for too many years in a row, they're likely to classify your 'business' as a hobby and thus you can no longer write off the loss on your tax return.