SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up a "fake" phone system?

I've got my main business (Sabotage Media) that is the parent company to all of my sites. I'd like to have a 1-800 number for people to call for various things (questions, comments, questions about their orders, etc etc). So what I'm thinking would be cool would be to have a main 1-800 number that anybody can call and the first thing that comes on is "You've reached Sabotage Media, parent company to (list different sites, blah blah blah). For Site A Press 1, Site B Press 2, Site C Press 3, etc etc. And in reality they ALL go to me but this way I don't have to answer the phone on the first ring and say "This is Josh, thanks for calling (and then guess what site they're calling about)." All I'd have to say is something like "This is Josh, how can I help you." and the end user will assume I know what they're calling about and everything just looks all the more professional to everybody. Soooo...anything like this out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh-

My business partner and I were looking for something similar to this a while back. I wish I could remember the name of the company but...

The way it works is you get an 800 number that a customer calls. Some REAL PERSON answers and finds out who's calling, puts the person on hold and forwards the call to you. You can choose whether to take the call or send them to voice mail. It was a pretty cool setup but, in the end, we weren't sure whether we would have enough calls to justify the cost.

Blair

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.kall8.com will do what you originally asked about. No live operators, but they have a really cool 800 number service that can have prompts, can ring to different numbers (even on a schedule) and even has voicemail/fax capabilities. I've been using it for several years and really like the service.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotvmail.com, ringcentral.com, tollfreelive.com, kall8.com. You want an auto attendant. Some will announce the caller and show which number they are calling. you then need enough sub directories or virtual mailboxes to handle all of your sites or departments. Gotvmail even provides professional voice talents for an extra fee. Broadvoice is a VOIP provider that has some of those features available.

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley
    www.kall8.com will do what you originally asked about. No live operators, but they have a really cool 800 number service that can have prompts, can ring to different numbers (even on a schedule) and even has voicemail/fax capabilities. I've been using it for several years and really like the service.
    Oh nice...this really does look like it might be exactly what I need!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second Kall8. I use it the same way and it works great!

-Costas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just answer the phone with a high-pitch female voice, put the caller on hold, and then answer with your regular voice?

"Thank you for calling, how may I help you?"
    "Yes, may I please speak with Jeffrey Hunt?"
    "Of course, one moment please."
    (Voice drops an octave)
    "Hello, this is Jeff."
    "Wait, didn't you just answer the..."
    "No, that's my receptionist."

heh heh.
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a fax-modem with voice capability - they're going cheap now because nobody needs modems any more. Set it up on an old PC or a server and install something like SuperVoice if it doesn't already come in the box: http://www.supervoice.com

This will give you DTMF scripting ("Press 1 for..."), voice-mailboxes, fax, answerphone.

This will work on any phone line and there are no on-going fees to pay. Or you can look for the cheapest 1-800 provider instead of being limited to those that do the scripting too.