User Tag List

Thread: Google?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google?

I have noticed a very large increase on the amount of traffic i recieve through the google search engine

On further investigation i have discovered something very odd, when looking for some major keywords i use on the google search engine i found a page of my site which seems to have been.. well changed?

The description i added is not there, instead a completly different description has been added, its not a description i have anyone on my website, it seems as if someone has actually been to the website and gone through the content and changedthe description of this page ( not sure on other pages yet ).

Could someone have looked through the site or is this some kind of artificial intellegence forming?

I run a hosting directory - currently going an update, take a look at this page in the google search engine,
    www.hostcompanies.com/hostusa.htm

The description is not what i added , you can view the source to see for yourself.

Anyone else notice this? Or am i unique?
    Any ideas whats happening?
    I am pleased with the extra traffic, google now sends more traffic to my site than any other search engine, i love it!
    I am just interested to know how the description got changed and if its happening to others

Add your web design / hosting companies to my directory - Web Hosting Directory
    Want to join our panel of experts? - Hosting Forums ( top right of forums -expert drop down box for more info ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The description is from the first line of text on the page. If you look at the cached version you'll see that the keywords and description meta tags are examples the same.
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not this time

Originally posted by Anarchos
    The description is from the first line of text on the page. If you look at the cached version you'll see that the keywords and description meta tags are examples the same.
    Have a look at the page, this isn't the case
    Want to join our panel of experts? - Hosting Forums ( top right of forums -expert drop down box for more info ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did look, and this is the case. If you're talking about the description under google's link, that is generated by searching the page for your search words and selecting a specific line.
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your point

I see what you mean, but its not taken the description from the first line of text, it is randomly picking word structures throughout the text of the page.

Must be some kind of algorithm google is now using, im sure it wasn't this way before.

Anyhow thanks, mystery solved

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google uses the description from the open directory if your listed with them @ dmoz.org

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its all making sense now

Originally posted by icehousedesigns
    Google uses the description from the open directory if your listed with them @ dmoz.org
    Got it! No need to call moulder and scully now, thanks

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Its all making sense now

Originally posted by TimNiceButDim

Got it! No need to call moulder and scully now, thanks

Anytime

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed this before in Google - that instead of using the meta tags it searches for the most relevant line in the text and shows that instead. Very handy in my opinion. It gives me an idea of what actually IS on the page, rather than what the page's owner wants me to think is on the page.

And yes - I am listed in dmoz too. My dmoz description is ok but doesn't bring me many hits. It's not the description I submitted.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google's uses both sets of information.

Here's what it shows for our site

Search engine optimization, web design, hosting and more- ...
    ... Search engine optimization, web design & web hosting are a few of the Internet
    services that MyMarketingPro.com provides. We also provide opt-in email ...
    Description: Offers online marketing services as well as web design and hosting.
    Category: Computers > Internet > Web Design and Development > Promotion

The title is taken directly from our meta tag and the second few lines are taken from the first few lines of our main page text and the description is from the DMOZ description.

This is fairly new I believe for Google to use the Dmoz description. I like it.
    Internet Marketing Made Easy
    My Marketing Pro