Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was your first Ruby app?

Besides the usual poking around in irb or copying examples, what is the first application you wrote using Ruby?

My first was a generator for PHP test script code! Basically many of my Model classes resembly TableDataGateways, and the tests I run for each method look similar with minor tweaks for parameters, etc. I wrote a Ruby shell script which would list the files in my models directory, allow you to choose one, then ready in the classes in the choosen script and present a list of the methods. When you selected the method it would write the basic test case for that method.

I have since refactored (in part due the the recoginition that if I needed a program to write a bunch of repetative test cases, then I have other problems) to the point where it is no longer needed, but that was my first baby steps.

What were yours?
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first and pretty much only app with Ruby was playing around with Ruby on Rails. Once I couldn't figure out a way to map ROR to joined tables/views, I dropped it. PHP does everything I need - don't see any reason to use Ruby.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Cobra
    My first and pretty much only app with Ruby was playing around with Ruby on Rails. Once I couldn't figure out a way to map ROR to joined tables/views, I dropped it. PHP does everything I need - don't see any reason to use Ruby.
    I'm continously baffled by people who give up on something so easy so quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Redpath
    I'm continously baffled by people who give up on something so easy so quickly.
    LOL. Sounds like you're easily baffled.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My first and pretty much only app with Ruby was playing around with Ruby on Rails. Once I couldn't figure out a way to map ROR to joined tables/views, I dropped it.
    Try reading the cookbook article that samsm posted earlier. It shows how to work with joins and it's relatively easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Try reading the cookbook article that samsm posted earlier. It shows how to work with joins and it's relatively easy
    Ah, maybe. I still don't really see any compelling reason to use Ruby. It seems a lot like Python and I hate hate hate Python. PHP irritates me a little, but it does most of what I need, and creating web sites with it is pretty trivial.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah, maybe. I still don't really see any compelling reason to use Ruby. It seems a lot like Python and I hate hate hate Python. PHP irritates me a little, but it does most of what I need, and creating web sites with it is pretty trivial.
    That's cool and your choice. It's always nice to know all your available options though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool and your choice. It's always nice to know all your available options though
    Aren't you going to give a sales pitch?!?!

I used to try every technology du jour, but found it's like treading water really really fast. Largely unproductive and unsatisfying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cookbook was my first.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    cookbook was my first.
    Same here.

The first one I tried writing by myself was a finance manager. Basically something to input bills, checks, etc. I got most of the logic stuff done in an afternoon and spent the rest of the weekend refactoring. It's not the most robust system in the world but I never intended for anyone other than me to use it

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first were a group of shell scripts doing all sorts of little things. One script to keep my dyndns hostname updated correctly. Another that parsed the text of a schema dump generated by ASP and turned it into a semi-valid SQL file. Another to automate the process of migrating a bunch of existing CVS projects to SVN. I did all of these in an afternoon, and they're still running perfectly today. Probably not more than 200 lines of code across all of them.

While I've played with Rails a bit, I find that Ruby as a general scripting language is just excellent. I create more readable, easier to use scripts with it and for rarely run, quick parse scripts it's speed issues aren't even relevant.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

An adult content filter, unix pipe style. The bigger issue of the back end crunching to generate the look-up tables is my third app. It was this task that resulted in the performance thread I posted earlier.

My second was a Tk Suduko solver.

yours, Marcus
    Marcus Baker
    Testing: SimpleTest, Cgreen, Fakemail
    Other: Phemto dependency injector
    Books: PHP in Action, 97 things

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lastcraft
    Hi.

An adult content filter, unix pipe style. The bigger issue of the back end crunching to generate the look-up tables is my third app. It was this task that resulted in the performance thread I posted earlier.
    Have you tried out any of the ruby2c converters?

Quote Originally Posted by lastcraft
    My second was a Tk Suduko solver.
    I wish I had a little more time for the ruby quizes. They look like a very nice way to learn ruby.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havnt used ruby yet but Im hoping to code my first app soon and with some of the resources in this forum I am sure it wont be that tricky but what first app should I code, Hmmmm!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_W
    I havnt used ruby yet but Im hoping to code my first app soon and with some of the resources in this forum I am sure it wont be that tricky but what first app should I code, Hmmmm!
    Please please please not a todo list. Code up a blog or guestbook or something, anything but a todo list!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please please please not a todo list. Code up a blog or guestbook or something, anything but a todo list!
    What about a tasks list......! LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Yeah. Particularly skip the Make a Todo list with Rails .9 as the current version of Rails, .13 is, as you may have guessed, way past there.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A blog is a pretty good "Hello World" type app for Rails. Don't try and reinvent the wheel though. Do it as an exercise, then move on

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first two ruby apps

my first ruby program was a console script that would solve monoalphabetic simple substitution ciphers, (ie cryptoquotes in the newspaper). It counted tetragraphs (occurances of 4 letter combinations) in something like a novel, stored them in a hash, then would use the gathered statistics to score a ciphertext and make small changes in an attempt to improve the score. Fun first program to write, little slow. I rewrote the algorithm later on in java and there was a signifigant speed increase, but the code was moderately less obvious.

my second app was to teach myself how to write TK apps in ruby. It's a little GUI app that lets you search and replace using regular expressions. It has been very convenient for letting me see what is actually being matched by a regex while I'm crafting it. It also run's a little slow on large text files, but this has more to do with the way I'm pulling the data from the TKText object and setting up the TKTags to do the marking.

I've really enjoyed the language so far, and plan to keep using it for a variety of different tasks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first app is about halfway done. It's a rails controller & model to provide user signup, login, and profile editing. It has email verification and password recovery built in as well. Using it as a good app to get a good understanding of everything and at the end have something that might be valuable to others.
    fo64.com - For Otters, 64 doesn't mean anything...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first ruby program was a shell script that automatically queries and harvests contact info from Google for all possible phone numbers within a given area code and prefix and sorts it out into a CVS file.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

my first code with Ruby was "Hello World" & first with Rails was code that printed "Hello World" 5 times in different colours & fonts!!
    ok, my first serious application was that cookbook from that OnLamp tut, that samsm have already linked to!! Its a pretty good tutorial for beginners!!
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine was mijnantiek.nl

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sylow
    mine was mijnantiek.nl
    Nice looking site! But you must be running in CGI mode right? Its very slow that way. Try fastcgi or scgi and you will get much better performance.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sylow
    mine was mijnantiek.nl
    Off Topic:

cool site & nice design!! however, your CSS is jerky in IE6 when I goto http://mijnantiek.nl/show/item/17 & hover on the link for Shop Name. you'd need to fix that!!
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!