User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar pages because of large menus...

Hiya,

My site has a top menu with over 100 items in it and a side navigation with another 20 or so links. The content area is where pictures and comments show. This is the only part that is different on each page.

The problem is that this way, the pages look very similar even though each page has different images, descriptions and comments. The biggest part of the html code are still the menus, which makes the pages 70% similar according to some similar page testtool.

How to avoid this? Is there any way to tell the SE crawlers that the menus are on all pages and should not really count. But also, not exclude the menus from crawling because the spider still has to be able to reach all pages ofcourse.

Any ideas on this matter?

Regards

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

To be honest, I think the answer lies elsewhere. Does your top level navigation really need over 100 items? Spend a little time thinking about your site structure, try to break down your pages into a sensible structure which creates clusters of pages with similar content and interlink them well.

This will help bring your site in-line with Google's own best practise guidelines and the thematic clustering should also help your rankings.

Keep the links on a given page to a reasonable number (fewer than 100).

From there it should be smooth sailing building on your content.

P.s tried to submit link to Google's webmaster guidelines where I took the citation from though apparently im not trusted enough to even link to Google

Just search for "Google webmaster guidelines"
    Last edited by Andy-t; Sep 27, 2008 at 10:56. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy-t View Post
    To be honest, I think the answer lies elsewhere. Does your top level navigation really need over 100 items? Spend a little time thinking about your site structure, try to break down your pages into a sensible structure which creates clusters of pages with similar content and interlink them well.

This will help bring your site in-line with Google's own best practise guidelines and the thematic clustering should also help your rankings.

From there it should be smooth sailing building on your content.

P.s tried to submit link to Google's webmaster guidelines where I took the citation from though apparently im not trusted enough to even link to Google

Just search for "Google webmaster guidelines"
    For the user side, It's not that user-friendly to have 100 items on the top menu. We would be confused and go to other site. Try to reconstruct your site and include the user on it. But I get your point, it will not harm you as long as you are not duplicating pages. Spiders are too smart to see if that's a duplicate page or not.