SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jaikoo, while I do agree there, I think the problem lies in the fact that the skills in many programmers lie mainly in a single language or two, so they use the tool they feel more comfortable with, and not the tool most suited to the job. Likewise, languages like Java are are a common denominator between most programmers, especially newers ones who have gone through university.

Certainly, I think Ruby has the potential to be a large range of projects. However, as someone said, there are things that will never be done in Ruby, such as compression, grahpics related stuff. However Ruby has the one advantage that it integrates with C (and I guess C++, never tried myself, it's something on the backburner I wanna try one day) very easily, and therefore these parts of a program can be coded in C or C++. Likewise this fits the whole idea that a problem should be solved in a language that fits the problem domain. Business apps are suited to Ruby due to it's dymanic nature that allows you do develop quickly and deal with changes in specification. C/C++ is a lagnuage suited for machine specific tasks.

Certainly I'm keen to see what is in store for Ruby 2.x, however I think it will be a while before a useable implementation of the language arrives, and it will be interesting to see what changes it will bring.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiJaySung
    jaikoo, while I do agree there, I think the problem lies in the fact that the skills in many programmers lie mainly in a single language or two, so they use the tool they feel more comfortable with, and not the tool most suited to the job.
    Thats very true, a couple of years ago I was very guilty of this. I'd spent so long learning the ins and outs of Java , the whole J2EE stack and the plethora of associated frameworks that I felt very loath to implement a solution in anything but Java. I felt very much that some how I'd be wasting all those years of learning.

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaikoo
    Thats very true, a couple of years ago I was very guilty of this. I'd spent so long learning the ins and outs of Java , the whole J2EE stack and the plethora of associated frameworks that I felt very loath to implement a solution in anything but Java. I felt very much that some how I'd be wasting all those years of learning.
    *Shivers*. I got to learn java for my uni course. Funny really because I was talking to the adminissions tutor about Java, and he hates the thing, yet we get taught it. I guess it just goes to show how much impact naff marketing campaigns have on managers at the top with no real programming knowledge.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the plus side though there are still lots of Java jobs these days despite the backlash its getting in the programming community. Java helped pay many a bill in the past and for that I'm grateful. Of course it was also the cause of me creating an imprint on my desk with my constant head banging

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are starting to be quite a few rails jobs out there too. I am working on 4 different rails projects right now and I am turning down contracting jobs for rails at a rate of 1-2 per week. Ruby and Rails is keeping me very busy these days! Here is a nice site that has job opportunities for rubyists:

http://jobs.rubynow.com/