User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NTLDR Is Missing..Ctrl Alt Del To Restart

Hey,

firstly all this started with my buying an untested processor of ebay. I put it into my pc and from then on all hell broke loose. Basically it didnt work, so I then tried to put the old processor back into the machine, and thats when i got this error message. I have searched google for many hours looking into solutions for this and I have tried them all practically (ones to do with the boot files).

At the same time as this, I am fixing my friends PC, and once I had fixed it, I placed my hard drive into his machine just to see what happened. It booted fine!

Since then I purcahsed a new motherboard and now I get exactly the same error so basically I have wasted my time (and money). I thought could it just be my proccessor that is faulty so I swapped over my friends into my machine (Both the same processor 1.3 Duron). This came up with exactly the same error :S. So Now I am stumped. Is there any other hardware problems that it is likely to be?

Thanks
    -Ice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did not say what OS you have, but take a look at the articles in this list. I suspect you will find a fix there.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
    the day after tomorrow. ~ Mark Twain

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NTLDR missing is windows telling you it can find the ntldr file which is a hidden system file on the root of C..

You can try out the list or try an emergency repair with an OS disc (win 2k or XP, whichever you have) ... that works sometimes, sometimes mind you. It sounds to me like an error happened when you put this new CPU in and it wrote some bs or wiped out the ntldr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I am running windows xp. When i try to run from the windows disk I get an error code 7 i think.

I also tried putting my friends hard drive into my machine, but im not sure if that was screwed up before hand. It gets past the NTLDR is Missing screen (it doenst appear) but then it starts to boot into windows and then restarts itself.

Any more ideas?

Thanks
    -Ice