User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simple GPL PHP OOP projects to learn from

Hello.

I'm hoping for a few recommendations on simple GPL OOP projects that I can inspect the source code to learn from. I'd like to keep the relative complexity low. The main things I'm looking for are:
    • What coding standards did they use?
    • What logic did they employ
    • directory structures
    • the templaing (if any) system
    • just a chance to read other people's well-written, OOP PHP code

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Derek

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Search for a member on this forum named Voostind and read all his posts.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look over SimpleTest and WACT from my signature.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the sample application on my site (URL in my signature). There are also lots of articles which explain the philosophy behind it.

SitePoint Enthusiast siteartwork's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o The PEAR coding standards will be your guideline for keeping your code readable. In fact, almost everyone who does serious PHP programming follows these guidelines.

o I'd recommend a book instead of peeking into other peoples sources, since chances are high that other ppls code is too complex or too simple to learn from it.
    There's a book on Java that explains what OO can do and what it can't do, what it stands for and what it doesn't stand for. It shows you some basic principles you should always keep in mind when doing OO. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the book, I'll edit my post later on.

o When you're through with this, you should take your time and get into Design patterns; I'd recommend Fowlers PoEAA and even sweatje's book on design patterns in PHP is strongly recommended.

o get known to Test Driven Development, since it can shorten the time you put into designing your classes.
    Last edited by siteartwork; Sep 26, 2005 at 07:26.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a book on Java that explains what OO can do and what it can't do, what it stands for and what it doesn't stand for.
    It's called Thinking in Java, and is an excellent choice, if you can find the time to read through it. You can find it as a free download in a number of formats I believe, from here,

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

Also, not to forget about Martin Fowlers PoEAA (Patterns of Enterprise Application Architechture) which comes highly recommended. Also take a look at Fowlers book on Refactoring - I'm thinking of buying it now myself since a number of members have spoken highly of it - which you can find out more about these books at

www.martinfowler.com Bookmark this link for future reference, you'll be going back to it. Definitely.

SitePoint Enthusiast siteartwork's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    It's called Thinking in Java, and is an excellent choice, if you can find the time to read through it. You can find it as a free download in a number of formats I believe, from here,

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/
    Hehe, no, it wasn't Eckel's book, it is this one:The object oriented thought process

Although I like Eckel's book, I think it does focus too much on language specific details in this case, whereas OOTP handles the subject in a more abstract way.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping for a few recommendations on simple GPL OOP projects that I can inspect the source code to learn from. I'd like to keep the relative complexity low. The main things I'm looking for are:

* What coding standards did they use?
    * What logic did they employ
    * directory structures
    * the templaing (if any) system
    * just a chance to read other people's well-written, OOP PHP code
    I think thats a great idea too. It would be nice to think that this thread http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296849 and its talk of a reconstituted PHPPatterns website, could perhaps achieve these twin purposes.

Provide examples of small apps that show the use of common patterns, properly written with tests etc as deraka suggests - and creating a sustainable PHPPatterns site that's "community driven"?
    Last edited by paulyG; Sep 26, 2005 at 10:16. Reason: clarification

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen that show up on Amazon a few times. Does anyone else have this book to recommend?

Thinking in Java is a bit language restrained I suppose, but what I like about it is, that it's very thorough and very much in depth about OO even though it's towards the Java language, a lot of it you can take with you away from Java.

I've had the download for a year or so now, and I'm still only browsing through it due to a lack of time, and the point that I need to be in front of the PC, to be able to read it - I don't fancy printing it out

Maybe I should put it on my Amazon wish list huh? Hint.. Hint

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sincere thanks all. I can't believe I didn't think of the PEAR coding standards docs... d'uh. Thanks.

Derek