SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using the <object> tag to insert data as a replacement for SSI

I am planning to use the <object> tag on a site that I'm making as a replacement for SSI since the server that I'm using doesn't support anything server side whatsoever. Reasonably, I only need my pages to work with version 4+ browsers so I think that it'll be okay to use this tag. Right? Is there anything else that I should know about using this? I'm sure there's a reason more pages don't use it.

My alternative to this tag would be a complex system using Dreamweaver's template functions - but that would be a pain.

This is the code that I'm going to use:

Including HTML in another HTML document
    Sometimes, rather than linking to another document, it is helpful to include the contents of an HTML document in another HTML document. We recommend using the OBJECT element with the data attribute for this purpose.
    For instance, the following line will include the contents of piece_to_include.html at the location where the OBJECT definition occurs.

...text before...
    <OBJECT data="file_to_include.html">
    Warning: file_to_include.html could not be included.
    </OBJECT>
    ...text after...

The contents of OBJECT must only be rendered if the file specified by the data attribute cannot be loaded.

The behavior of a user agent in cases where a file includes itself is not defined.

Careful file inclusions. Be careful if you attempt to include a section of an HTML document defined by an anchor. The entire document after the anchor definition will be included, and you might unwittingly include unwanted end tags (for elements such as BODY, HTML, etc.) in your document.

The IFRAME element may also be used to insert an inline frame containing text in an HTML document.
    - W3C document http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-97070...s.html#h-7.7.4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was giong to use the object tag once, and the limited time I used it I saw that there was no major difference in any sort of performance. I went to SSI becuase I perferred to use "good" HTML instead of something I didn't quite know of.

I also had a host that didn't surpport anythign server-side also. For some reason Frontpage's Insert page and saving it just as a regular .html file seemed to work. When I saw the code I was amazed the server did it. Tricking the host is always good.

Hoped it help, even if I didn't get to it until late.
    -LadyLily
    You know the Legend of Zelda Series?
    Who doesn't?
    Link's Worlds

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. The old addage that it's better late than never applies in this case.

I think that your host supported the Frontpage Server Extensions. It didn't support SSI, but it's possible it would have support ASP includes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, none to all of them. I used Frontapge for a limited time, and my first server (I have recently moved) was a free server. And it claimed it didn't have any server-side technologies ready and aviable. Interesting, I thought. I was also using some CSS which they didn't support either. I'm not goign to tell them.
    -LadyLily
    You know the Legend of Zelda Series?
    Who doesn't?
    Link's Worlds