SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Saved page" different from "view source"

I was going to help someone with their code and looked at it in "View Source" using FFs "web developer" extension. I wanted to edit the code to try something so I saved the page as "web page complete" using Firefox. I tried the same using IE. To give an example, one line of the "view source" code was this:
    Code:
    <link href="landscape_css.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media ="screen" />
    Saving the code put the css in a different folder name and the html was this:
    Code:
    <link href="landscapes_nojava_files/landscape_css.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen">
    What gives with that? One person said the js changed the locations but would it change the /> also? Some of the other code change, too, but I don't understand why saving it would change from what I viewed in "view source".

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you save an HTML page in IE, it will create a directory where it puts referenced external files (e.g. style sheets, images). It will then alter the link URIs so that they point to this new directory instead.

Since it's an HTML document (albeit with pretend-XHTML syntax), IE will save it as HTML. That means getting rid of the incorrect /> terminators.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane