SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Marketing Guru ;) Johan Malmberg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What else can I do to increase traffic???

I have been promoting one of my sites www.liutilities.com for a couple of months now. I receive around 300 unique visitors/day. but I want more. I beleive I would be able to receive 1000 unique/day. I have tried many different promotion techniques. Here are the ones I can remember:

Promotion Technique:
    submitted yahoo & looksmart (I am listed in both)
    Results:
    Not the best, I receive around 10-20 uniques/day

Promotion Technique:
    submitted to other directories (nbci, dmoz...)
    Results:
    No direct increase of traffic, I may have get higher ranking in other SE's

Promotion Technique:
    optimzing for SE's (I have to listing in many SE's, for example several #1 in google.)
    Results:
    I receive around 30% of my traffic from this, especially form google.

Promotion Technique:
    Creating other sites to promote the first. I have created www.linteractive.com to tell people how to avoid buffer underrun. I also tell them how they can use mine product to do this. I have promoted this site with all the promotion techniques I have used on www.liutilities.com
    Results:
    Very good, I receive a lot of visitors (around 50/day) from this site, and they are very targeted.

Promotion Technique:
    exchanging links I have managed to exchange links with a lot of sites with targeted traffic
    Results:
    It is hard to say how many uniqes it gives/day since there a lot of different sites, perhaps 10-20/day

Promotion Technique:
    PPC SE's, I have bought around 50 keywords on GOTO and consider start using Findwhat
    Results:
    I receive around 20 uniques/day from this.

Promotion Technique:
    I written an article on Buffer Underrun
    Results:
    None, since I haven't got it published yet.

Promotion Technique:
    I have contacted magazines and newsletters trying to get them to review my product.
    Results:
    I have been featured in PC World, PC Journal, WinMag among others) This has given me some traffic but only temporarely

Promotion Technique:
    I have submitted a trial version of WinTasks 2000 to every major download place.
    Results:
    This has given me some visitors. You receive a lot of visitors the first weeks after getting listed when you are new. I consider to update my file to get more visitors.

Promotion Technique:
    I have advertised in a couple of e-zines.
    Results:
    Not as good as I expected. From a e-zine with around 3000 subscribers I received around 30 vistors.

What should I do to get more visitors?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wont get much traffic directly from dmoz, but any traffic coming from aol, netscape, icq, directory.google.com, etc is all based off dmoz

But it sounds like you're doing everything, you might want to reevaluate your goto listings and try to pump those up, other than that just wait. Traffic goes up over time.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't have tried everything? There must be other promotion techiques out there. What have worked best for you?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johan,

Idea 1: Are you giving away Free stuff on your site? If so I would promote that heavily. Create a 'Free Whatever' graphic and slap it on the front of your site. People love free stuff.

Idea2: Have a contest and give something away. There are tons of contest/sweepstake sites to promote your contest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your tips rgremill.

I haven't tried contests as an promotion techinque. I think I will give it a try. It is a great way to collect e-mail addresses to.

I thinking of giving away a free gift on my site when they buy my product but I haven't thought out a gift my visitors could be interested in yet.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johan,

You should submit to Inktomi and Altavista (paid inclusion). Since your pages are already optimized, you should get great rankings on all the supported engines.

I did it for my site and almost doubled my traffic in a week's time. Most of it comes from AOL and MSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moospot,

I have allready paid for inktomi, and I agree to you it is worth it. It only costs $30 for the first page and $15 for the rest. Compare that to $200 to get listed in Yahoo with ONE page.

Have received many hits from Altavista? Last I looked they only reached a few percentages of the market.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johan,

Have you used GoTo's keyword tool? How many hits did your keywords get last month?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Affiliate program is the key. Then all your affiliates can spend time working out how to market your site. Let them struggle with getting traffic.

Jon