SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    An omnipotent and omniscient being that has just existed since the beginning of time makes more sense? Sorry, but not to me.... How was he created; this too, is beyond the realm of science. Both are only in the realm of our minds, so to speak....
    2 Corinthians 4:4
    ...in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

"The world they pulled over your eyes, to blind you from the truth" - Morpheus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If evolution is wrong, how do you explain the difference between Africans, Asians, Caucasians, Chinese etc?
    If we all came from Adam and Eve, why do all the races look different?
    Evolution is the only way to explain it. Doubtless these questions will be answered by some kind of refusal to look the facts in the face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More importantly - what were the dinosaurs all about?

Hmmm.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polymath, by science's own admittance 5000 years ago man decided to tame Canis Lupus (a breed of wolf). Since then Canis Familiaris (man's best friend) has emerged with more than 275 recognized breeds (by teh kennel clubs) and hundreds more that aren't.

If that happened in 5K years, why is it so preposterous for a dozen "breeds" of humans to emerge in 6-10K?
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Polymath, by science's own admittance 5000 years ago man decided to tame Canis Lupus (a breed of wolf). Since then Canis Familiaris (man's best friend) has emerged with more than 275 recognized breeds (by teh kennel clubs) and hundreds more that aren't."

And what is that an example of? Species aren't fixed. They evolve. So God didn't create domesticated dogs, as you just admitted. Did God create Chihuahuas, or did man? That's a nice example of accelerated evolution you've just given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Deja-vu?

This is all beginning to sound very familiar...

Did they change something?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polymath:

1. You asked how it could happen that we have different cultures, heights, colours, etc.

2. I provide an example and you say it's all cause of evolution and ask what I'm trying to prove...

I'm lost *L*

Who said that minor speciation doesn't happen? Who said that breeding doesn't happen? Who said that characteristics aren't passed from generation to generation?

Do you think that simply because I'm christian I have no knowledge of science, or that I choose to ignore it and hide behind "god said it so it's so"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "new knowledge leads us to recognize in the theory of evolution more than a hypothesis...
    ...It is indeed remarkable that this theory has been progressively accepted by researchers, following a series of discoveries in various fields of knowledge. The convergence, neither sought nor fabricated, of the results of work that was conducted independently is in itself a significant argument in favor of this theory."
    - The Pope, 1996

There you have it, the Pope says evolution is more than a theory, and that the independent, unsought, unfabricated evidence is a significant argument in favour of evolution. That's from the man with a direct line to God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's the Pope?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, yes, and priests hear God better then everyone else

The pope is saying nothing different then I am: The precepts and principles of evolution are in general sound.

It's true. To deny that would be to say "god's right, you're wrong".

Again, what is your point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is that evolution is fact.
    Revilre said "I have studied evolutionary theory, and have found it is not based on sound science".
    I take great objection to that - granted he gave examples of bad science by fraudulent scientists, but they were just self-serving examples to bolster his arguments. I could come up with examples of Creationists faking evidence and ignoring facts - but I don't need to. He clearly does.
    I quoted the Pope:
    "The convergence, neither sought nor fabricated, of the results of work that was conducted independently..."
    NB, the results of work that was not fabricated, although revilre claims otherwise.
    That was my point, the same as the Pope's point, the evidence for evolution is practically overwhelming and is not based on bad science...which is why I believe it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What evidence is overwhelming?

EDIT: I phrased that poorly: what does this overwhelming evidence consist of?
    Last edited by TWTCommish; Aug 6, 2001 at 08:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I give in, ask the Pope...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? I don't look to The Pope for guidance. The Pope is fallible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - what does he know?
    WO-HAHAHA!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evolution is fact...

So who's preaching and dictating now?

Tell me, what can you prove is completely false about the principles of creation, God, Jesus, etc. Not what can't be proven by christianity. For evolution to be fact you must be able to disprove some fundamental tenet of christianity, right?

A TWT said, very few people look to the pope for guidance, and none of them are in this thread. This is like the third thread you've pointed to the pope as proof and we keep telling you he's just like a glorified pastor to us.

"I have studied evolutionary theory, and have found it is not based on sound science"

Yeah, he also said he was right about everything he said and that he had the authority of god and arguing with him meant you were going to hell... What's your point? Want a radical fundamentalist christians are ashamed of? You/ve seen one now.

You asked how I could aco**** for caucasions, chienese, afraicans etc. I accounted for them, what is your argument?

Your argument seemed to be that the pope thought you were right... Which isn't what the text says at all. He doesn't say "god doesn't exist, evolution is the solution". He says the scientific evidence is huge regarding the precepts and concepts of evolution. He never said "believe thou in the god of science' or anything like taht so don't point to the pope as a believer in what you say or in agreeing wit hyou.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeremy,
    >"For evolution to be fact you must be able to disprove some fundamental tenet of christianity, right?"
    Wrong. I've realised the cause of this argument, which is that I wasn't clear at the beginning exactly what I meant - my fault, sorry - when I say Creationism, I mean that God created the Earth with all the creatures on it as they are now.
    I am not arguing anything to do with whether God created the Earth, not at all, it is the 'all the creatures as they are now' bit that I am banging on about.
    I quoted the Pope to demonstrate that evolution emphatically does not have to disprove some fundamental tenet of Christianity.

>"He never said "believe thou in the god of science' or anything like that so don't point to the pope as a believer in what you say or in agreeing with you."
    He is agreeing with me, I'm afraid. He said evolution is more than hypothesis, and so am I. That sounds like agreement to me, unless the dictionary has changed since I last dipped into it. Anyway, I was not arguing that he was saying it disproved that God created the Earth, I was arguing that evolution and Christianity are compatible.

>"You asked how I could accountfor caucasions, chienese, afraicans etc. I accounted for them, what is your argument?"
    Are you saying you believe in evolution then? You said on page four, "who said there was no minor speciations?" (not an exact quote but close). Lots of minor speciation gets you from a wolf to a chihuahua, this is evolution, whether it's through husbandry or not.

I'm not denying that I don't believe God created the Earth...but that's not what I was arguing here...I think that's what's been confusing us both. If not, I'm even more confused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am kind of confused myself.

Are you talking about evolution from one species to the next, or evolution within a species?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread went from discussing homosexuals, to discussing versions of the bible, to discussing evolution.

I wonder what's next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the last one ended up on the merits of Baywatch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have just kept shtum, too late now, sheesh.
    Anyone elthe got a pithy topic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me think..

Why did god create squirrels? They don't do crap, they just eat and make more squirrels.

good enough to argue over?
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The're cute though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that's besides the point! They're evil, I tell ya!

Okay, next argument. Someone else's turn.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)