SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I'm not a programmer...

    Ok, the title says alot

    Anyway, I have started with this tutorial from the Ruby Resources thread. I have even made it to the "learn to program" page and run the calc.rb program and it worked, but there is some confusion on my part. As I say I am not a programmer. I figure I better ask so I can actually learn something or quit now if I am too stupid

    What does this mean in layman's terms?
    To get to your command line, select Command Prompt from the Accessories folder in your start menu. You will want to navigate to the folder where you are keeping your programs. Typing cd .. will take you up one folder, and cd foldername would put you inside the folder named foldername. To see all of the folders in your current folder, type dir /ad.
    Like I say, I opened the Comand Prompt and ran the calc.rb and I got the 3 so I must have done something right. Now if I could understand what the Command Prompt window is and what it does maybe I can move to the next step.

    Sorry for such a newb question, but we all have to start somewhere.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Zealot bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The command prompt window is the command prompt, it looks like the window on the screenshot I attached to this post. If you don't know what the command prompt window is, maybe you should read some guides/information on general OS knowledge before you try to learn programming? It's not a dig or anything, it's just that almost every tutorial out there assumes you've got adequate knowledge about the OS you are using.

    Anyway, here's a breakdown of what you posted:

    The following: To get to your command line, select Command Prompt from the Accessories folder in your start menu.
    Reads as: To open your command prompt/command prompt window, navigate to the folder Accessories in your Start Menu and click on the Command Prompt icon.
    Alternative: Go to Start menu, Run and type in "cmd", then press enter. It has the same effect.

    The following: Typing cd .. will take you up one folder, and cd foldername would put you inside the folder named foldername.
    Reads as: To move between/to folders in the command prompt, use the cd command (cd stands for Change Directory).

    cd followed by two periods will move back one step in the folder structrure. If you're in C:\windows\ and type cd .. you will be moved to the C:\ folder.

    cd followed by a folder name will move "forward" to that folder. If you're in C:\windows and type cd system32 you will be moved to the C:\windows\system32 folder (assuming it exists). You can specify several folders separated by a \ sign. So to move directly from C: to C:\windows\system32 you would type cd windows\system32

    cd followed by an absolute path will move you to that folder regardless of where you're currently located. If you're in C:\windows\system32 and type cd "C:\Program Files" you will end up in C:\Program Files. (Note the double quotes that are necessary if the folder(s) have spaces in them.)

    To move to another drive (C: to D:, D: to E:, and so on) simply type the drive name followed by a colon: D: moves you to D:\.


    If you want to know what commands are available in the command prompt, type help. If you want to know more about a specific command, type <command> /?. As in cd /? or dir /?.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is a way to overcome the suffering, there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, there is no point to worry.
    - Shantideva

  3. #3
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's your basic DOS console from Windows. It's nothing fancy, you can get to it in a more direct manner, if you type 'cmd' into the Start > Run dialogue box, I've attached my own image as an example

  4. #4
    throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    Now if I could understand what the Command Prompt window is and what it does maybe I can move to the next step.

    Sorry for such a newb question, but we all have to start somewhere.
    Dude, you have 3,145 messages on Sitepoint.com and haven't used the command prompt. That really must be some kind of record

    No, you must be joking, I see you laughing now ... I can see you ... no ? You are not laughing ? you buy the beers

    Boy, kinds these days ... Ehh, I remember the good old days of edit.exe and qbasic.exe and nc.exe and autoexec.bat and config.sys and doom.exe. But the win.exe (or was it .com) came and screw it up.

  5. #5
    throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, I'll show this thread to all my friends

    (don't worry, just joking )

  6. #6
    eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    3,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    I realy dislike the windows command promt. I install cygwin on every win box I have to spend any significant time on. Many people consider it a poor halfway house, but it feels much better to me
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

  7. #7
    throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatje
    Off Topic:

    I realy dislike the windows command promt. I install cygwin on every win box I have to spend any significant time on. Many people consider it a poor halfway house, but it feels much better to me
    One day I woke up and said to myself "I can't live like this".
    And before I knew it, Fedora Cora was installed on my machine. And no sign of Windows.
    Conclusion: Don't live within a halfway house

    (maybe we should start the annonymous windows users association)

  8. #8
    Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iv'e decided to quit now as I seem to have asked a pretty stupid question

  9. #9
    eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    3,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    Quote Originally Posted by bonefry
    One day I woke up and said to myself "I can't live like this".
    And before I knew it, Fedora Cora was installed on my machine. And no sign of Windows.
    Conclusion: Don't live within a halfway house

    (maybe we should start the annonymous windows users association)
    They would be mighty unhappy with me at work if I formatted the harddrive, however, vmware does a find job with a gentoo install and it is running nearly all the time with a putty ssh session into in



    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    Iv'e decided to quit now as I seem to have asked a pretty stupid question
    Please don't. Remember there are not any stupid questions, only stupid answers. I appologize if any of my off-topic remarks have led you astray.

    It is interesting to me when I encounter reasonably computer savy people who have not experience with the console. I had an intern who was getting a computer information systems degree, but had never dealt with the command prompt. I think by the end of the summer she was comfortable on how to use it, but I was never quite sure she understood why I favor it in so many circumstances. For some reason I would much rather negotiate a complex hierarchy of directories with typing and tab completion than clicking on a tree component and scrolling up and down to find where I want to go. I think this kind of thing must in some way be a personal preference issue.

    Regards,
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

  10. #10
    Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatje
    Please don't. Remember there are not any stupid questions, only stupid answers. I appologize if any of my off-topic remarks have led you astray.

    It is interesting to me when I encounter reasonably computer savy people who have not experience with the console. I had an intern who was getting a computer information systems degree, but had never dealt with the command prompt. I think by the end of the summer she was comfortable on how to use it, but I was never quite sure she understood why I favor it in so many circumstances. For some reason I would much rather negotiate a complex hierarchy of directories with typing and tab completion than clicking on a tree component and scrolling up and down to find where I want to go. I think this kind of thing must in some way be a personal preference issue.

    Regards,
    No, I was just joking about quitting, though I may never actually get into Ruby I thought I might give it a try. (new forum and all) I knew it was going to be a stupid question before I asked it. I have gotten over my fear of asking them. Though I try not to ask too many

    Anyway I know absolutely nothing about computers and there inner workings. In fact 3 years ago I had just gotten my first comp and was just starting with web design. I started with Flash

    I have taken no computer classes, nor have I had any formal training on anything to do with them. I have learned the small amount of web design knowledge I have here at SP, well and a few other sites too.

    Anyway thanks all for the responses

  11. #11
    SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatje
    Off Topic:

    I realy dislike the windows command promt. I install cygwin on every win box I have to spend any significant time on. Many people consider it a poor halfway house, but it feels much better to me
    I also hate the DOS prompt. I can't get on with cygwin though. I use Linux (Ubuntu) more and more these days though and do all my Ruby/Rails stuff in Linux.

    Has anybody noticed that the `rails` command on Windows runs really slowly?

  12. #12
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,236
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Redpath
    I also hate the DOS prompt. I can't get on with cygwin though. I use Linux (Ubuntu) more and more these days though and do all my Ruby/Rails stuff in Linux.

    Has anybody noticed that the `rails` command on Windows runs really slowly?
    Rails in general seems to run pretty slowly on Windows.

  13. #13
    SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to give a demo of rails to some colleagues recently and had to use an old laptop with XP on it - the rails command seemed to take about a minute - it was quite embarrasing. I really wished I had my own machine sitting in front of me at that moment.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Evangelist Will Kelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it out a couple of months ago on Windows.. It was sooo slow (my PC is almost couple of years old now, but it's no slouch), it kind of put me off using it.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •