SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is RDBMS support?

I briefly looked into Ruby and Rails a bit back, but as I recall there only seemed to be active development and support for bindings for MySQL, PostgreSQL or ODBC connections.

For me, it is critical to have support for enterprise RDBMS systems, like Sybase ASE, Oracle 8/9/10, and MS SQL.

Are there any plans to support these types of databases, or am I missing something? I did see bindings for Oracle 7 once, but development seemed dead.

I certainly don't want to be forced to use an ODBC connection. I really prefer native support.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rails can use MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, DB2, and Oracle 8 and 9, and more that I'm not going to go through the trouble of finding links for (hint: http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/ has the answers to all these questions, as evidenced by my links).

I'd also like to know why you think PostgreSQL isn't an "enterprise system". Businesses (i.e. enterprises) use it right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sybase and Firebird are coming.

Also, I believe that to be considered Rails supported, there would need to be complete Active Record support. Ditch Active Record (undesirable, true) and there are many more databases supported by Ruby, which you can use via alternate models. I've seen documents that suggest this to be accurate, but I haven't found an authoritative page on Ruby database support so I'm not sure of the extent this is true for dbms x, y, or z.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it working with mysql and with Oracle at work, which are my two primary concerns.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.