Quote Originally Posted by bonefry
How can times be another word for multiply ? Maybe in your vocabulary but not in ruby. In ruby it's a word for "repeat it this many times" and it's not related to an integer.

In the current version of Ruby it doesn't cause performance problems because it's a slow interpreter anyway, but when it will be optimized a little, you will see. Of course it has performance issues. The code block is a function that gets called on every iteration. And function calls are slow. Also, the iteration itself is also a function that increments the internal counter, so that again, is slower that manually writting var = var + 1. And it doesn't matter for 30 or 100 iterations, but what about 1.000.000 ?

We are long gone since the MS-DOS days when knowing some assembly language + C or Pascal (which were both very high languages) made one a good programmer. You can no longer work without APIs. Not even in PHP - in case you haven't noticed, the standard library keeps growing in PHP 5.1 (for example with the addition of PDO) and it will grow further in PHP 6.

Of course not. Who ever said that again ?

I'm not sure what your point was ... but maybe I was not clear enough
Please give me one good reason why .NET was succesfull other than ASP.NET.
To make a quick summary: many Windows programmers still use old technologies because .NET is not available in WinXP by default, and to answer to someone else - it has huge issues in Win9X (which is still in use). And it was marketed as the perfect choice for web services. But recent surveys show that Java is still the preferred choice. Is there something else besides ASP.NET that made .NET succesfull ?
Not sure why you were quoting me there except the first quote.

Like somebody already said, times is a common word for multiply. It certainly is in the UK. 2 times 2 is 4 etc.