Quote Originally Posted by Etnu
Are you trying to claim that Java *is* suitable for every task? ... That's why we create web-specific languages.
Just to defend my favorite platform a little. The only thing that Java isn't suitable when it comes to web applications is "quick and dirty scripts". Otherwise, it beats the hell out of PHP if the programmer is proeficient enough with the frameworks it uses. And even there, who says one cannot use Jython or Groovy or even Rhino and BeanShell ? Give me a counter-example and I will fight back
That's why we create web-specific languages. That's why we create scripting languages. That's why we create embedded languages.
yes... and many of those can run on top of the Java platform

None, I don't do ground up development in either. I do a lot of integration work, mostly.
Yes, you see, that means you still have a lot to learn to be proeficient in Java. I could enumerate about a dozen frameworks I worked with (most are part of the standard). That's why I questioned you.

Quote Originally Posted by Etmu
That's quite possibly the silliest statement I've ever heard about learning languages. If you honestly think there's all that much difference between THE CODE that you write in PHP vs. Java vs. C++, you're out of your mind.
YES, it is a big difference in the APIs you use, in best practices promoted throughout the community, in the standard design patterns, in problems that you hit, not to mention PHP is dynamic, Java is semi-dynamic, and C++ is static (with a little help from templates it can be made a little dynamic) and that means a world of difference. Surelly the quick-sort alghoritm will work the same, but not your average shopping cart.

You shouldn't ever have to learn an algorithm or pattern more than once. New languages come out every year.
OK, so you allready know everything there is to know about alghoritms and you are confortable with binary search trees, avl trees, red-black trees, multi-way trees, b-trees, graphs traversal depth first/breadth first, least cost graphs prim / kruskal, greedy, divide-et-impera, backtracking, branch&bound, dynamic all 3 ways.
And those were studied in highschool. And yes, alghoritms and mathematics never change, that's why if one earns it's money from them it will NEVER be outdated. And that was my point.

Languages CHANGE
actually they evolve towards LISP
Just a though: There is no single feature in todays languages that hasn't been implemented in LISP or Smaltalk for years.
Only APIs have evolved.

PS: I allready apologized for being out of line above.