SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How am I supposed to know?

Before you start learning PHP you need to have somewhere to run it. A free account at F2S or UK Linux will suffice, but an even better option is to install your own PHP web server on your windows PC and run your scripts from there. You need the windows versions of Apache (a web server), PHP, mySQL and a script called phpMyAdmin which will help you easily create and administrate databases in mySQL. That lot may sound daunting but there is a .zip file available for download containing all 4 - simply unzip it onto your hard drive and away you go.
    How am I supposed to know wheter or not I have these things and whether or not I need them?
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% sure if you don't know whether you have them then you don't have them. They don't come standard with any Windows OS, and if you haven't installed them already then you need to. And you would know if you have installed them, I am sure of it. So I would say you need all of them.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For example, if I download PHP, then what can I do with it?

B/C I was going through a PHP tutorial, and it had me make a .php file, then upload it online, and it worked. So does that mean that I have php?
    AdamPolselli.com

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you upload it to a server, right? That means the server has php. You can create a file with any extension you want on your computer but you won't be able to run a php file without a web server that has PHP support, that is why they have you upload it to a server with PHP. By installing a web server on your own computer you can write scripts and run them right on your computer without having to upload anything.

Excuse me if you already know this. But basically when you call up a web page in a browser it sends a request for that page to the server, the server parses the page and spits out the html. With normal html the server simply returns the html page. With PHP, the server parses the PHP code then spits out the output.

You can setup a server to run on your computer and view php parsed web pages from your local ocmputer.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would I want to set up my own web server?

I must be really confused. I use a free host that has PHP capabilities. So I guess I don't need to get those things.

So I'm confused, why would anyone need them? I know some people host their own sites, but don't most just use payed for hosts? So why was this thread: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=18699 , saying I have to download these things?

Please "unconfuse" me, someone.

<edit> nevermind, i read the paragraph again. So, if I want to use PHP, and I use a host the has it, then all I have to do is learn it?
    AdamPolselli.com

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason you would want to set up Apache an PHP on your computer is simply for testing reasons. You could create scripts and test them on your own computer and then upload them to your server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    k, that's what I thought.
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swimm, I'm in the same situation. My host supports PHP but after some pep talk from Shin Ma I decided to install it on my own computer (Win98). It wasn't difficult at all! If you want to try, just download PHPdev3 and unzip it to C:/. You'll get Apache, PHP and MySQL. Then you'll just have to copy the files you want to test to the www folder and open your browser. Write http://localhost/yourfile.php (or whatever the file's name is) and watch the result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Marina!
    AdamPolselli.com