SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do i find...

clients to build web sites for...any suggestions...and what type of income should i ask for...?

james
    "...fact is only what you believe, and fact and fiction work as a team." - Jack Johnson

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd probably get more replies if this was in the Promotion and Marketing forum. I'll contact an Advisor and ask them to move it for you.

In the mean time, what have you done in the way of web design already? Do you already have a decent portfolio behind you? If not, try asking friends and relatives if they will allow you to design them a site (for free!). Once you've got a portfolio to show off what you can do, I would think one of the easiest ways to get started is locally by word of mouth. Do you know anybody who owns a small business? Do they have a website? If not, would they benefit from one? If they do, perhaps it could do with a re-style? If you can get the proverbial foot in the door there, you're on the first rung of the ladder and hopefully from there, albeit slowly, you could get more work. Small business owners talk with other small business owners. Make one happy and the word should hopefully spread.
    Last edited by Saz249; Aug 1, 2001 at 23:46.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Beginners forum, there is already a thread started there as well, with a very useful answer.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First get a portfolio by doing some for free for friends/family/charities etc

Then the best way to find new clients is by offline local promotion, an ad in the newspaper etc
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How Do I find

One of the most effective methods of advertising online today is via
    e-zines, or online newsletters that are focused toward your target market. A few things to watch out for:

- Make sure the ezine targets your specialty (ie. small businesses may be your speciality, or perhaps it's non-profit - there are literally thousands out there, make sure you narrow them to the ones that fit your service best)
    - Look for ezines that have subscriber bases above 10,000 - though ad rates will be slightly higher (ie. $approx $20-$50), they will pull much better than an ezine with 500 subscribers.
    - Try and personalize your message, find a unique selling proposition you have that other web designers don't have - include a testimonial if you can.

Anyway - hope this helps....

<advisor edit: Cynergistics, you have been warned about this. This is not the place to advertise your business>

Jeff
    Last edited by mmj; Aug 2, 2001 at 19:54.
    Jeff Smith
    "How To Create and Market Your Own Products Online"
    http://www.infoproductcreator.com
    Free 7-Part E-Seminar on Infoproduct Profit Generation Tips

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi James,

I know the situation you're in - I've been there too

When I started making websties, I did one of my own, some for a couple of friends, and then, (through family contacts), I made one for a small local business.

Later, when I was convinced nobody else knew who I was and wanted a website, I found out about a website design competition in my area. It was just to design a reasonably simple site for a plumbing company, actually. I entered, worked like crazy on it, and won it. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what won me my other clients, too! Along with actually having the plumbers use my site, it brought lots of publicity - I was in the local newspaper, on the radio, etc. The day my website got the most hits ever was the day my feature article was in the paper. I really believe that newspapers are a great means of advertising, especially if you can get someone to say that 'you made their website, and it's great'..that's the best type of publicity around.

As to knowing how much to charge - check out designers who you'll be competing against, and work out a reasonable, affordable (for you and the client!) charge.

Good luck!
    Anna