7 17.07%
  • vBulletin

34 82.93%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UBB Newest version 6.1.0 is much much much faster now.

Read this thread.
    http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bin...c&f=3&t=000554
    Your WebHosting Partner - RouterWebHost.com
    eXam SIMulation Software - ExamSim.net
    geeks forums -ProgrammingTutor.com
    BMWClub of Malaysia - BMWClub.com.my
    unofficial MU Fan Club coming soon - ManchesterUnited.com.my

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't say iKonboard is slow, I've got an 56k connection, and everything cames up quite fast! I recommend you guys this testdrive Testdrive Ikonboard.
    I like their options post entry page! Check it out!

btw, I promote iB because it's the underdog If I need a board, I would prefer a php board too, because I know php.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certify, with all due respect, I wouldn't take their word for it. I've heard mixed reviews of it - some people have noticed an increase, at least one has noticed a decrease. So I think you should wait and see for yourself.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been times when on my 56k modem I have found sometimes Ikb going slow and Vb fast and vice-versa.
    However if it was possible for me I would go for Vb....but the problem is that I can't afford it .
    Sure if u ask for best free board I think majority will be with Ikb

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vbulletin, of course. It's fast and furious. I'm having my vB integrated with PHPauction and Postaci 1.3 - a web based email client.

Ikon is okay, but UBB? Why do they have to charge so much? Check out their pricing plan:

0-4 employees $249
    5-24 employees $599
    25-300 employees $899
    over 300 employees $1299

ya
    Last edited by Berlin; Aug 7, 2001 at 20:45.

Talk to the /dev/null Theiggsta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vBulletin!!

I will say vbulletin because of how far it has come...feature wise. I remember when UBB was the top of the line (begins to get a fuzzy flashback) and all I wanted was that on my website. Then, vBulletin came out...and after all those releases (and its live version on counetrstrike forums) I became a believer in php and mysql instead of UBB.

/me gets off his soap box and gets out of the yoda costume

ANyway...thats why I say vBulletin, because hey...its runs this very forum!!!
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    Certify, with all due respect, I wouldn't take their word for it. I've heard mixed reviews of it - some people have noticed an increase, at least one has noticed a decrease. So I think you should wait and see for yourself.
    Hmm.. I sincerely hope it will be faster on my site.
    Your WebHosting Partner - RouterWebHost.com
    eXam SIMulation Software - ExamSim.net
    geeks forums -ProgrammingTutor.com
    BMWClub of Malaysia - BMWClub.com.my
    unofficial MU Fan Club coming soon - ManchesterUnited.com.my

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open BB

http://www.iansoft.net/community2/

Does anybody see any resemblance to vb?

Here is a link to where you can download it:

http://www.iansoft.net/

Its worth checking out.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    prashidi, what are you saying, that because it looks similar it is a vB ripoff?

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well...

This topic has been discussed on vbulletins official website. No, its not a ripoff. The only thing is that a month ago the whole interface looked like vbulletin. Had the same images, buttons and I mean everything. Thats the only part that makes it a ripoff. But since they changed it I guess we can let them go

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever a new forum comes out that has the hint of the UBB forum style about it people always say the code has been copied from vBulletin, even if it is written in another language! I don't understand why

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vB is over rated. Ikonboard is just as good for the most part and it is free. mySQL is over rated too. Unless you have a huge forum, flat files will not be much slower than mysql. Go with Ikonboard (Perl is a manly language anyway).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by GTPlanet.net
    Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I appreciate it.

But, simply going by personal preference, which software would you enjoy using more?
    Ikonboard is just on a slow server. The board is not slow at all. And as for the PHP/Perl debate, Perl is probably faster. Ever heard of Perl_mod? Yeah, almost every host runs it. People like to use PHP because Perl is too hard for them to hack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Staples
    (Perl is a manly language anyway).
    Right...
    Kevin

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    c'mon Staples. i LOVE Perl and used to think i was going to do my pages in it. but then i saw the light and PHP truely IS BETTER for Web applications.

flat files are slow. true if you don't have a lot of traffic it's not going to make much difference. but it creates more load on the server. on a shared server i would definitely want everyone to be using MySQL over flat files bogging down the server.

And as for the PHP/Perl debate, Perl is probably faster. Ever heard of Perl_mod? Yeah, almost every host runs it.
    Perl MIGHT be faster than PHP 3 but i'm sure PHP 4 w/ the Zend engine is faster than Perl. throw in the Zend Optimizer and PHP 4 has it for sure.

it's mod_perl, not Perl_mod. it's a memory hog and i don't think "almost every host runs it." where as every host that's using PHP w/ Apache (any REAL host ) is running it as a module. you want to stay away from the standalone interpreters running through CGI. use the Web server modules.

i would tend to say (i don't really know though) that most hosts AREN'T running mod_perl. and when that's the case you have the startup time of the script, which in my (crappy) testing seems to take ~ 1/100 second. that's bad. that means a PHP script will just about, if not, be done running before the Perl one even starts.

in my tests, the only thing that's faster in Perl is, as i expected, regular expressions.

for a benchmark in a real world situation see my thread where i compared the speed of PHP and Perl with the same simple script: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=28036
    Last edited by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR; Aug 10, 2001 at 19:09.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Perl MIGHT be faster than PHP 3 but i'm sure PHP 4 w/ the Zend engine is faster than Perl. throw in the Zend Optimizer and PHP 4 has it for sure.
    I have not done any comparisons myself but I do have something to say, if you were doing them in Windows, the results are probably flawed. PHP runs pretty well in Windows whereas Perl runs terrible. Perl is definately a unix language so an Apache/mod_perl/linux setup would be the idea settings.

Most hosts support SSI and I am not sure but I believe that you need mod_perl for those to work right on Apache, I could be wrong. I never could get it to run right in Linux anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not done any comparisons myself but I do have something to say, if you were doing them in Windows, the results are probably flawed. PHP runs pretty well in Windows whereas Perl runs terrible. Perl is definately a unix language so an Apache/mod_perl/linux setup would be the idea settings.
    yes i did it on Windows.

Most hosts support SSI and I am not sure but I believe that you need mod_perl for those to work right on Apache, I could be wrong.
    that's not right. SSI has nothing to do w/ Perl. Perl has nothing to do w/ SSI. there's tons of commands you can execute w/ SSI that don't involve Perl. not to mention simply including .html files.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't know wich language is the fastest...
    Maybe we have to write a simple php script and a simple perl script with the same function, and then we test it on the same server with benchmarks
    Unfortunately, I do not know perl enough to write a script in it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

SSI has nothing to do w/ Perl. Perl has nothing to do w/ SSI. there's tons of commands you can execute w/ SSI that don't involve Perl. not to mention simply including .html files.
    Like I said, I may be wrong. I have used SSI, Perl and PHP/mysql extensively over the past two years but I don't always know the underlying technology. I am involved in a big PHP project of my own right now.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking from a hosts point of view I'd much rather everyone used PHP over Perl any day of the year, I have some complex scripts written in PHP that hardly tax the server, yet some clients have some scripts (Not as complex) that tax the server more than my PHP ones do - and it's not a case of that they are poor programmers either. PHP was designed for the web whereas perl was not designed for it, so PHP has the advantage.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually very much liked PERL. I learned PERL programming sometime back. I migrated to PHP recently.

PHP is so much more efficient. not only in terms of coding. Don't you just love all the extra functions which make your programming easier?

Perl rules. but PHP rules more.

In view of bulletin board....I would say both are equally good. However, I'll go for vbulletin if I could. Namely, its more packed with features, its using php =)...the downside would be its commercial.

I actually am about to install IKonboard v3 onto one fo my servers.
    It rules. The version 3 beats UBB 6 or any other softwrae out there.
    I just love the way IKonboard v3 uses javascript for accessibility/usability.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Karl
    Speaking from a hosts point of view I'd much rather everyone used PHP over Perl any day of the year
    exactly.

Originally posted by lynlimz
    I actually very much liked PERL. I learned PERL programming sometime back. I migrated to PHP recently.

PHP is so much more efficient. not only in terms of coding. Don't you just love all the extra functions which make your programming easier?

Perl rules. but PHP rules more.
    ditto everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify, mod_perl has nothing to do with SSI, very few hosts have mod_perl installed, and UBB/YaBB are being banned not only because of poor coding and that they're written in Perl, but also because (in UBB's case) of flat-files and their reign of torture on servers.
    Last edited by tubedogg; Aug 12, 2001 at 19:02.
    Kevin

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is true that very few hosts have mod_perl installed as it is a bit of a memory muncher.

This topic has drifted off quite a bit, can we try and stay on track now please?

Thank you,
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.