SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online community JustChat.co.uk

Hi

We are one of the UK's most popular online community sites, and are looking for a redesign.

Our brief was to give the site a far more mature look. Our site, although clean and not permitting sexual content, is for adults only. Our target audience is 25 and above.

Our mock-up for the new design is at:

http://www.justchat.co.uk/mock1

Please note that no links are fully active yet, this is a mock-up design only

Any thoughts and opinions would be well received.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    allthough simple and not badly designed your site seems to me a little chunky (visually). the fat buttons on the top are too big compaired to the body text. (at least with my browsers (Firefox) default settings).

it's propably because it is in an early design stage, but try to make it give the impesion it is a little more worked on.

best all.
    be whatever you wanna be! be sereal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't know what it is but it just isn't working for me. I think maybe the spotlight features being colored rather than grey might help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Thanks for the feedback so far, anyone else have some comments/constructive criticism?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good design and good navigation but where is the love?? It feels way to coporate for a chat site, it has a clinical and shiny feel to it. You would almost be forgiven in thinking that the site was selling some coporate service. Add some unique personal touches. It also really bothers me that the forum doesnt follow the same theme thru out the site, perhaps you are waiting to finish the site then to work on the forum theme. If you need any help customising the phpBB2 overall_header.tpl give me a shout at jonlg_uk@hotmail.com . I have been customising phpBB2 forums for about 2 years now. Sorry to be harsh but i do think the site needs brightening up. You were right to avoid the typical cliches of immaculate models posing on the beach, going down that path adds a less genuine feel to the site.

One idea i had for your site it doing kind of a coffee shop theme. Adding dark warming colours like chocolate brown and carmel. Just an idea of kind of done it on my site only based on a psychiatrists room. You could do something like this but on different scale. Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design a lot. My only suggestion would be to change the font on the top navigation bar. It seems a very default like text, and I think it would look a lot better in a slightly more "fun" font. Good luck with your site,

Tom

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I agree that top navigation buttons should be thinner.

On the main page, the bottom padding is to wide. I think the distance between the bottom navigation and the bottom of the browser window should be the same as at the top - i.e. 1 cm.

In all other respects, very nice design

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reedy,

I like the overall design, particuarly the layout.

Specifically I would remove the black border around the logo/advertising space at the top.

I would also change the page background colour to white or a much lighter grey.

Why not use some the Just Chat logo's (Yellow and Orange) colours instead of just grey and red.

Heading in a good direction with the development, but I would fine tune some of the details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Thanks everyone, these are really constructive and surprisingly positive comments so far! Just to reiterate, the link posted is just a mock up so any links clicked on at present will lead to the old design of the site - hence the inconsistency.

When we move ahead with the final redesign of course we will be making all the pages consistent in terms of design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basic, but useful. Nice splash page.
    The splash page seems alright, simple. It's not one of those pages that you can be bothered keep going onto, you need to liven it us abit, not necessarily a new layout. Maybe a change of colours would help. Add something with life onto the page, maybe a small flash logo or photoshop graphic that gives the website a bit more life.
    If you want a hand with a graphic don't be shy, drop into www.vbforums.tk there are about 8 different members with photoshop skills.
    Anyway, back to your site.
    I'd give it about 5/10 mainly for a good layout, but use of dull colours and images.
    Last edited by kostonato; Oct 27, 2005 at 11:00. Reason: didn't give constructive critisism

SitePoint Member auctionmonsternt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is not very well ballanced, and the mouse rollover buttons are horrible

I think you need to straighten up the page and fix the navbars
    Auction Monster -- List for free and sell your item today!!!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It looks neat, but everything is hard to read. WHite text on a pale gray background doesn't quite cut it. IT's not as fun looking as it should suggest. It is more tech looking.