SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Please review my portfolio and Design links blog.

Please review and be really really critical of the site.
    I like negative feedback, as long as it's descriptive.

The site is
    http://www.letsdesign.co.uk

Only one page (othermaps) isn't finished yet.

I have created a refreshing content and links page by using a blog
    http://paperclipping.blogspot.com

It provides important links to design news, topics and resources.
    Please review this, however, I know that the colours need sorting on this blog, so as to match the company site.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit:

As per your request . . . PC - XP - 1280 x 1024 - Samsung 17" LCD monitor

One more comment: The name of your site would make more sense with an exclamation point ie. Let's Design!. Also, without the apostrophe, at least on the page if not in the domain name itself, it took me a few minutes to figure out that 'Lets' was a verb and not a proper noun.

I like the concept and colors of the site but it's not working 100% for me. Fixing the layout and size of the site provides a visual consistency but limits presentation options.

IMO, the LH graphic area takes up too much real estate which cramps the text area of the site. I see how it is useful for certain pages of the site but in others it doesn't contribute much of anything. The quotes in that area are a distraction and just don't work for me.

The font size is pretty small and NOT RESIZABLE in IE! Even with my good eyes I find it hard to read and that is a real usability issue. The white lettering in the black box is especially difficult and the green links are impossible to see. In all the text needs more space. Right now it feels very cramped.

The blog needs more than color sorting. It also needs integration of some of the design elements and/or layout to make it work.

Hope this gives you something to consider.
    Last edited by earther; Oct 21, 2005 at 06:47.

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The left is nice and clean I would say leave as is. The right part is too confusing and busy and hard to read. Try clearing that up and use less blocky graphics. Try to make the right side fit with the left. Menu is ok although I think impractical where it is. I do think you have potential.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the design with the snails. Also i liked the portfolio and blog it has cool picture. I think that you need to add a couple more picture to bring in the subject more but otherwise your site is cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your feedback so far.

I have had comments about the size of the text by an old colleague.
    But I struggle with the following concepts:
    800X600 screens the text looks fine, even a little big for a design site.
    1024X760(whatever it is) the text looks ok and the site fits nicely within the centred layout.
    Screen sizes larger than that and the text increases.

I opted to make the site look good on 1024x768, as this was the most popular resolution by users. So I'm a bit confused as to what's needed.
    Also the colours are much greener on PC than on MAC, I designed it on MAC and the theme colours are more yellow. Should i design a site for PC and one for MAC users?

Could EVERYONE include screen resolution and operating system with your comments?
    Thanks in anticipation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Previous post edited so you have that info with my original comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win2k, Firefox, Dual monitors 1280x1024 and 800x600

I like this design a lot, fresh, cool, hip however...

Little cluttered on the right side of the page, introduce some more white space, space things out a bit and let it breathe. Makes it much easier to read and much more visually stunning as well to do so.

Use % or EM rather than pixels for text sizing allows the text to resize in all browsers and it will do so gracefully.

Also increse the line height on your paragraph text (I find 150% works nicely) to make text easier to read and again adds some more white space breathing room

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of updating the site with the percentages for text, next month. I also aim to make the pictures relate more to the subject of each page.

As for the comment about Lets Design versus Let's Design.

I realise this was a problem but I thought it was one worth risking.
    I couldn't register the site as the second name and I assumed most people would see past that.
    Does anyone else think that that is a problem?

ALSO: if anyone knows any good resources/links around the subject of graphic design please let me have them for the blog at:
    http://paperclipping.blogspot.com
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman
    I'm thinking of updating the site with the percentages for text, next month. I also aim to make the pictures relate more to the subject of each page.
    This thread gives a little better explanation of using resizable fonts.

As for the comment about Lets Design versus Let's Design. I realise this was a problem but I thought it was one worth risking.
    I couldn't register the site as the second name and I assumed most people would see past that.
    Obviously, the domain name can't have the apostrophe but you might consider using it on the site proper. It really did take me quite some time to figure out your intent the way it is currently presented. Maybe I'm just too old and confused . . . LOL!!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey

Although the site looks nice it has some major issues with usability.

The font in the rollover state on the navlinks isn't very clear. It looks far too strongly aliased. You should make the nav with textlinks (use ul li). If you use text links then you wont have to worry about people with text browsers not picking up your nav menu.

Also you are using alot of deprecated tags, check out www.w3schools.com for information on coding to standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spudz
    Hey

Although the site looks nice it has some major issues with usability.

The font in the rollover state on the navlinks isn't very clear. It looks far too strongly aliased. You should make the nav with textlinks (use ul li). If you use text links then you wont have to worry about people with text browsers not picking up your nav menu.
    Thanks. I wouldn't get the nice font if I use text links. So I'm going to leave it on the hope I receive no text only browsers. I might put in ALT options for people who are visually impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by spudz
    Also you are using alot of deprecated tags, check out www.w3schools.com for information on coding to standards.
    Yes I know. I should be really using style sheets to command stuff. I have a habit of still using the 'Center' command. But is it me or does anyone else really struggle with CSS, it just makes life awkward, especially in Dreamweaver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman
    But is it me or does anyone else really struggle with CSS, it just makes life awkward, especially in Dreamweaver.
    It took me about a year and a half to wrap my brain around CSS but it has been well worth it. I've never used DW and never will. If you want to learn how to code properly either work in DW text mode or chuck it for one of the great text editors out there - I use NoteTab. You'll be glad you did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at NoteTab, I'll consider it when I have more time to learn a new piece of software. In the meantime has anyone else used it?

I've also decided to make the advert offer on the main page less like a 'logosrUS' site.