Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha443556
    Wow! There's a new Ruby forum!
    Yes! After some discussions behind the scenes Tom decided to give it a go. So I better see everyone who requested a forum in this thread posting there or we'll remove PHP Application Design

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! I don't use Ruby, but I need the PHP Application Design forum. (sarcasm)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    I've not got the time to read them all of course, but it's annoying when you have to mark them all read, and to move them in dribs and drabs.
    I send mailing lists to my Gmail account. Set up a filter to add a label to all mail from the list, and for it to automatically archive them. Then it acts much like a forums, threaded too. Only things you read come up read, but your inbox doesn't get filled with mailing list stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    Why can't they just send them to you all in one go huh?

Douglas
    Hello World

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or we'll remove PHP Application Design
    Go on... I dare you

I send mailing lists to my Gmail account. Set up a filter to add a label to all mail from the list, and for it to automatically archive them. Then it acts much like a forums, threaded too. Only things you read come up read, but your inbox doesn't get filled with mailing list stuff.
    I don't have a GMail account, want to invite me?

Didn't know that, so thanks, I'll have a look into it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl
    We have to seperate the categories before hand though. In a the case of a newly started Form without a user base blanket categories are okay. But in cases where there is already a overtly large and growing user base creating area according to popular demand (not popularity) is fine. This was a very weak point of the old "buzz" builder.com. They just did not get on the hot items soon enough and then found themselves floundering a bit to recover from the disatisfaction caused by no reacting to the user bases demands. take for instance PHP. It took 2 years of belly aching by users before they created a seperate forum. By then it was almost too late. People had gotten used to posting in the popular areas and refused to post in the proper forum.
    Not reacting to your visitors' needs is just idiocy. But I've been a part of at least 4 major forum sites, and the pattern was always the same for those that create too many categories too fast.

If you're not getting at LEAST 4 or 5 new threads per day on a given topic, there's no justification for creating a dedicated forum.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I've been away for a while due to massive amounts of work keeping me from reading the boards, but it turns out that nothing much has changed really (except for perhaps lastcraft having taken over the role of what voostind (Vincent) used to be, perhaps a few of you remember those times).

I am honestly laughing at the fuzz and buzz revolving around PHP VS Ruby (&Rails) comparisons, it's the same I used to witness back when it was PHP VS .NET and even VS Java. In the end it's always the same yadda yadda.

I honestly was quite shocked reading the comment made by Derrick, for all the same valid reasons already discussed in the replies of that very thread. (STFU? You have got to be kidding me... )

About BC: A warning of some kind would have been nice, agreed, but it's not that big a deal. In every professional environment there are upgrade procedures, which allow enough time to react to changes made. Nobody in his right mind will upgrade to a newer php dot version without having everything tested in a test environment, so for most enterprises this does not cause a BIG problem. Yes of course code will have to be adapted (or not), but that's the natural flow of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datune
    Wow, I've been away for a while due to massive amounts of work keeping me from reading the boards, but it turns out that nothing much has changed really (except for perhaps lastcraft having taken over the role of what voostind (Vincent) used to be, perhaps a few of you remember those times).

I am honestly laughing at the fuzz and buzz revolving around PHP VS Ruby (&Rails) comparisons, it's the same I used to witness back when it was PHP VS .NET and even VS Java. In the end it's always the same yadda yadda.

I honestly was quite shocked reading the comment made by Derrick, for all the same valid reasons already discussed in the replies of that very thread. (STFU? You have got to be kidding me... )

About BC: A warning of some kind would have been nice, agreed, but it's not that big a deal. In every professional environment there are upgrade procedures, which allow enough time to react to changes made. Nobody in his right mind will upgrade to a newer php dot version without having everything tested in a test environment, so for most enterprises this does not cause a BIG problem. Yes of course code will have to be adapted (or not), but that's the natural flow of things.
    Infact....here arrive a man who shouts "ruby...rubyyy.rubyyy!", and all the people follow him and a new forum is made.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruby forum? Any chance of a Python getting it's own forum (at last)?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second that request, since I have an interest in Python... And we now have a forum for Ruby, so why not? Or do I need to start another poll huh

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, let's start a forum for OCalm too

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you guys know, there already is a forum for Python: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you guys know, there already is a forum for Python: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36
    It's "Perl, Python and Other Languages" - that makes everyone feel dirty ;-). Would be a place to discussion Django, for example...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryF
    It's "Perl, Python and Other Languages" - that makes everyone feel dirty ;-). Would be a place to discussion Django, for example...
    Maybe you should post this in the Ruby forum?