SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for me...I have just started coding in PHP not too long ago...So the backward compatibility isn't really something that I have personally had a problem in..I learned off of PHP5 and that's all that I have used so far. I find it pretty complete and really extensive..There are things that I haven't even come CLOSE to using.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover
    Usually though, when you talk about programming languages you don't consider XHTML, CSS, and JS in this category. In their rights they are all languages as you have to remember a certain syntax and such.)
    Why wouldn't you think of Javascript? Couldn't you write ASP using JScript, which is basically Microsoft's own proprietary take on ECMAScript?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASP I think is best when using VBScript. JS can be used, but really I don't believe that its intended purpose.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it best using VBScript? Surely the only difference is personal preference and language features? I'd take Javascript or anything like it over VB any day. Who said that it wasn't JScript's intended purpose (or indeed, VBScript's original intended purpose)?

SitePoint Enthusiast Buddha443556's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to follow this thread I've come to one simple conclusion: SitePoint needs a Ruby forum.

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha443556
    Trying to follow this thread I've come to one simple conclusion: SitePoint needs a Ruby forum.
    There is Perl, Python and Other Languages but seeing as all other Ruby forums on the internet I have found suck (low traffic/content), it would be nice to see a good Ruby forum here.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatje
    There is Perl, Python and Other Languages but seeing as all other Ruby forums on the internet I have found suck (low traffic/content), it would be nice to see a good Ruby forum here.
    Yes I have often wondered why language developers choose a mailing list over a forum. Yes there is maintenance and hosting but the overall effect of having an online forum outweighs the cost and work. It is also searchable which even an archived mailing list is terrible at.

As a Rails mailing list subscriber I get 1200 mails per day and very little usable information.

Dumping the languages together is not effective either. People don't post because the feel a mixed forum means a lack of interested users. So they go elsewhere.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would be nice to see a good Ruby forum here.
    I second that. Ruby has arrived on the web albeit still needing to prove that it can scale and capture mind-share. It seems to be doing the latter and as long as hardware keeps going the way it does, the former may not really be a differentiator. At any-rate, it would be nice to let the rubyists have a place to talk and to keep this forum more on-message....

This thread is so far OT that I suspect the next message will be about Cooking with Emeril. BAM!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop and think for moment though... If we have a Ruby forum here at Sitepoint, it might draw traffic from this forum, and thus the content quality and quantity will suffer.

Hell, might encourage others to adapt to Ruby rather than PHP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't agree more. We have mentioned it a couple of times in the past, I think I may have even sent a note to a SP admin about it. I have a feeling that there are enough people around here with an interest to keep a substantial forum going. I suppose we just need to rattle our cages a little more and someone will listen: surely it can't be that much work to set up a new forum, right?

Any moderators reading this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    Stop and think for moment though... If we have a Ruby forum here at Sitepoint, it might draw traffic from this forum, and thus the content quality and quantity will suffer.
    Think about the flipside, though: you won't have to hear our Ruby rantings on the PHP forum anymore, since we will have elsewhere to vent
    Garcia

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but I'm two minds to fire off a PM asking not for a Ruby forum ... J/k

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell, might encourage others to adapt to Ruby rather than PHP
    Not me.

I've yet to actually join any mailing list, because I find them inefficient. I'll often look through a few, but I prefer forums as I don't get emails ever time something is updated, etc.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurtado
    Any moderators reading this thread?
    Yes. Unfortunately (yet understandably), SitePoint's policy is to only create new forums where there is a proven need for them. If we see many Ruby threads there will be a Ruby forum, so it's up to you guys really

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanf
    If we see many Ruby threads there will be a Ruby forum, so it's up to you guys really
    Bah. That means more threads going off-topic in this forum and needless back and forth between adherents.

Build it and they will come

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we see many Ruby threads there will be a Ruby forum, so it's up to you guys really
    Code:
    sitepoint.forums.get('Program Your Site').add('Ruby') if sitepoint.users.post_too_many_ot_ruby_threads
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a Ruby forum should wait until Ruby becomes a bit more popular. It isn't too big. It would probably be popular though as there aren't any really big Ruby forums.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

I'll often look through a few, but I prefer forums as I don't get emails ever time something is updated, etc.
    I know what you mean. I signed up to a SOAP mailing list a while back, and now I'm getting an avg of 30 emails a day. I've not got the time to read them all of course, but it's annoying when you have to mark them all read, and to move them in dribs and drabs.

Why can't they just send them to you all in one go huh?[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Unfortunately (yet understandably), SitePoint's policy is to only create new forums where there is a proven need for them. If we see many Ruby threads there will be a Ruby forum, so it's up to you guys really
    Well, I think there is a certain demand, and we probably don't have more Ruby threads because there isn't a Ruby forum. Obviously if we didn't have a PHP forum we wouldn't see many PHP threads either

Is there a way we could make a "call for signatures" sorta thing? If we could try to get, say, 100 members to say "yea" on a thread, or however many, maybe we could get it considered?

I don't know, perhaps it is true that there just isn't enough interest...
    Garcia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody seems to care about Web Security anyway (only one post today), why don't we swap that one for Ruby

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way we could make a "call for signatures" sorta thing? If we could try to get, say, 100 members to say "yea" on a thread, or however many, maybe we could get it considered?
    If you want a say, then make your vote in the poll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody seems to care about Web Security anyway (only one post today), why don't we swap that one for Ruby
    Good one! We dont really need a new forum, just rename an old one
    Garcia

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl
    Yes I have often wondered why language developers choose a mailing list over a forum. Yes there is maintenance and hosting but the overall effect of having an online forum outweighs the cost and work. It is also searchable which even an archived mailing list is terrible at.

As a Rails mailing list subscriber I get 1200 mails per day and very little usable information.

Dumping the languages together is not effective either. People don't post because the feel a mixed forum means a lack of interested users. So they go elsewhere.
    No opinion on creating a Ruby forum one way or another, but this is categorically false. Forums that are too granular result in people not posting WAY more often than forums that are too general. It's all about striking a balance between volume of posts and volume of users. A new forum should only ever be created when there are enough users posting relevant topics to justify it. Nobody will ever post in a forum that only gets 1 or 2 new threads a week.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that even though I really don't like Ruby, as PHP is a large part of my life, but I think that there should be some sort of Ruby forum. Maybe first SitePoint could get some Ruby articles, to spark up some people's minds on the subject.

SitePoint Enthusiast Buddha443556's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! There's a new Ruby forum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Etnu
    No opinion on creating a Ruby forum one way or another, but this is categorically false. Forums that are too granular result in people not posting WAY more often than forums that are too general. It's all about striking a balance between volume of posts and volume of users. A new forum should only ever be created when there are enough users posting relevant topics to justify it. Nobody will ever post in a forum that only gets 1 or 2 new threads a week.
    We have to seperate the categories before hand though. In a the case of a newly started Form without a user base blanket categories are okay. But in cases where there is already a overtly large and growing user base creating area according to popular demand (not popularity) is fine. This was a very weak point of the old "buzz" builder.com. They just did not get on the hot items soon enough and then found themselves floundering a bit to recover from the disatisfaction caused by no reacting to the user bases demands. take for instance PHP. It took 2 years of belly aching by users before they created a seperate forum. By then it was almost too late. People had gotten used to posting in the popular areas and refused to post in the proper forum.