SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best market demographics for city?

If you were a web design/development company, with the usual services serving small businesses, and had the chance to set up shop in any city, what qualities would you look for in that city to help ensure your business success? For instance, what would be your preference for the size of the city and the median salary for the area and why? How many 'top dog' web design/development shops are too many for an area? Would you say there should be 1 per 10k people in a city, 1 per 50k people?

How would you quantify and underserved market?

I am assuming the client prefers a local web company. As a related question, are most of your clients local?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trigg44
    I am assuming the client prefers a local web company.
    That's a whopping big assumption.

As a related question, are most of your clients local?
    Nope. Though a sizeable portion are within the same state.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so is this saying location is not a factor or everyone just sets up shop wherever they are without giving location a thought? There must be tradeoffs setting up shop in Watertown, NY and NYC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very interested in this question as well. I live on the Gulf Coast, which just got destroyed by the hurricane, and I know before the storm there were very, very few web development firms down here. Because of that I thought the landscape might be great to get something going, but now who the hell knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90% of my clients are local...but I live in an area which small biz's thrive...there are TONS of competition in my city, but I could care less....Its all about Networking.. if it just so happens that you network locally or across the country, either way chances are you win...

It works for me...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so is this saying location is not a factor or everyone just sets up shop wherever they are without giving location a thought? There must be tradeoffs setting up shop in Watertown, NY and NYC.
    I live in quite populated area (thanks for the space program), but I have never had a local customer ever, even from the same state. All of my business is elsewhere through refferals from past clients who I got from good internet friends I long-ago did favors for, etc. The internet is THE place for international business, eliminating geographical boundaries.

I usually advertise as Space Coast Web Design, although it doesn't seem to get me local business. I know another web developer in my area (way older than me and makes most of his money through web hosting) and I've seen a few amateurs doing some business. I'm sure that I could find something local, but there is no need to.

I would think that placing yourself in an area with lots of small companies would work better, as they need websites. In my area there is tons of tourism and hundreds of small businesses thrive off of that and the Kennedy Space Center. Find smaller, but large areas like this - I think it one day will pay off, maybe when I have office space...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I can answer the original question, but I can say that 99.9% of my business comes from local companies, mainly because that's the way I've always marketed myself and in my experience,yes, many companies prefer to work with a developer who is local to them - I've lost track of the number of times someone has said

'Well, obviously we wanted someone local, someone we can deal with easily and directly, so we rang you'.

I'd struggle working with London clients, because they are 180 miles away, in fact, I don't venture more than a 30 miles radius.