SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

submission services

Hi there

those services that companies offer - register with the top 100 search engines for 100 - are they any good?

I've always been of the opinion that it's better to do your own submissions manually - I also guess that these companies use automated techniques?

So can anyone recommend a good pay service or indeed back up my suspicions?

Thanks for your help
    gorillaweb is a small London based digital design agency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi macdan,

Though I have never had any experiences with those submission services I got this newsletter the other day about search engine submissions from WebPros and they said that Analogx.com was the best choice and though I haven't tried it yet I have listen to there advice before and benefited a lot. The submission software is free and it submits to all of the important directories and search engines.

Reguards,

Izaak
    GetchaName
    Domain Name Ideas
    www.getchaname.com
    sales@getchaname.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's always best to submit to the major engines manually - the minor ones can be done automatically but for your own peace of mind it's best to be absolutely certain about the biggies, and if you want something doing properly do it yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

Polymath I agree with you. Can you recommend an automated pay service for all other little engines? - also can I ask you as a fellow UK member - when you submit do you just do the UK equivalents (eg.yahoo.co.uk) or the global ones (eg. yahoo.com) or indeed both?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Macdan,
    I use TopDog, which does ranking and submission on a global scale i.e all the regional variants and a few other major local engines. When TopDog submits it submits to global and regional.
    But I can't recommend a paid automated service as I have never used one - sorry. It might be worth looking at the one izaak suggested, as I say I don't really know.
    You can get good results submitting .co.uk sites through Inktomi, which go into the UK versions of Hotbot, MSN, Looksmart, Goto and AOL very quickly, as well as several other engines - but if your area is competitive I wouldn't bother as e.g. MSN has directory listings before Ink results, Looksmart has Site matches before Ink results and so on.
    But if there are not that many (or no) sites in e.g. MSN directory in your subject area, that's a potential MSN top ten within three days. Worth it, IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Polymath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gang,

Just a few pennies to add here...

Please don't go with bulk automatic submission.

One of the quickest ways to determine the legitimacy of a SEO company is by looking to see if they offer mass submission to hundreds of engines. If they promote this as a valuable core service, close your browser quickly - and never return to their web site.

Here is how the scam works. The "SEO company" (and I use that term hesitantly) purchases an off the shelf product which submits your site to some major engines plus hundreds of FFA links. You can snag these tools rather cheeply yourself. (around 50 bucks - and sometimes even free).

Then, they take your credit card info, and just run your site through the tool. WhoooHooo!!!! What a joke...

Most of the traffic on the web is delivered by only a few engines. And the trick there is not to submit your "web site" to them - but to submit each page individually. But you have to use some constraint. Usually, you should submit no more than 3-5 pages per day.

Because of work volume, some webmasters simply do not have time to do this by hand. They might have huge sites. And to that end, automatic submission tools should be used. But please note that automatic submission is not the same thing as bulk submission.

Some automatic submission tools are safe and completly undetecable to an engine.. (WP Gold, TopDog, and most importantly - Search Engine Commando. come to mind) You will have no problem using these.

But still, keep in mind that "search engine submission" is just part of what you need to do. A lot of submissions need to be done to directories - and no submission tools work there. Also, most of the important 'smaller' search services are directories - not search engines.

For example, if you run a Web Design Company and focus on Kansas for your clients - there are probably Kansas directories that can generate some traffic from you. A bulk submission tool - and even an automatic submission tool will never be able to find these directories for ya.

Anywho - this link page may help.
    http://spider-food.net/submission-guide-b.html

But just remember - anytime you see someone claiming to submit to gobs of engines for a low low one time price of $49 - close your browser and run.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the by, I noticed yesterday that altavista make you read a code and put it in to verify that you are a human (non automated submitter).

Does anyone have any opinions on the services that web gravity offer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not used web gravity, but I do use Position Tech and think they are pretty good.
    I have heard complaints about web gravity, centred on over-zealous salesmen making outlandish claims such as "we know the Inktomi algorithm and can get you #1s easily" - a claim that makes no sense whatsoever since Inktomi isn't a search engine and therefore has no ranking algo - rank is determined by the engines that take the INK DB.
    This is only what I've heard, and over-zealous salesmen are a fact of life, maybe someone here has actually used web gravity and can say something from personal xp?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with JK about the submission companies. Although SEO is fairly easy to do, it does take more time and effort then simply submitting. Those companies that promise to submit your site month after month to a ton of sites can actually hurt your rankings.

The three things you need to think about before submitting your site manually are the title, meta tags (description & keywords) and the page content. Get those 3 things looking good and you'll be in great shape. SEO is really much simpler then most people think. It just takes time and effort to keep up to date and test and re-tweak pages.

Even if you use programs like Web Position Gold you need to worry about being detected by the search engines that you are being submitted to. While performing a reporter mission on WPG for example don't check the box that says "report whether any page on my site is indexed" and don't search for your sites name. These are ways the SE's can detect who you are. Also when you use them to submit, if you're on a DSL connection or cable connection your IP might be the same which can tip SE's off. Don't run report missions more than once a week and if you can usually be safe submitting 3-5 pages per day per domain at each search engine.

Good Luck.

PS-If anyone is in need of search engine optimization my company does offer this service.
    Internet Marketing Made Easy
    My Marketing Pro

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm - I would not say SEO is easy - but I would not say it is very difficult either.

It is more a matter of taking the time to learn how to code and what the tags can do for you along with studying the details - and it takes quite a bit of time, if you are just starting I'm talking more than a couple days here, months upon months is more like it. SEO is not an arena for those that are impatient. If you are a designer chances are you know enough code to effectivly use standard SEO techniques and quite a few of the advanced ones.

One word of caution. Meta Tags, while still necessary - and they should be properly formed and optimized - are infact pretty much useless as most of the major se's ignore all but <title> and description. Keyword meta has been sooo abused that its pretty much just a good place to keep your primary words so that the next time you review the page it's easy to remember what your focus was there (and of course to cover yourself with the se's that use it)

All SEO's are not scams.. but unfortunately they do exist.. kinda like all blondes are not dumb