We've all been there.
At one point or another, all of us were beginners at this crazy thing called internet marketing. So, in the spirit of giving, I thought that we could all share 5 pieces of advice for anyone looking to break into this industry. I'll start us off.
1. Start with a Topic you love.
- There are going to be a ton of obstacles if you are just starting out. If you don't pick a topic you absolutely love, you will get discouraged, and most likely give up. In the beginning, make things easy on yourself, and pick something you love. There are 10,000 people out there competing for #1 in google for "Home Mortgages". There may only be 100 competing for "Remote Controlled Boats". Pick something you love, and become a big fish in a small pond.
2. Avoid short term trends.
- Many people who start in this business are looking to make a quick buck. They think all they have to do is put up a few websites about mesothelioma, hotels, and home mortgages, and somehow the money will just start to pour in. This is so far from the truth, it ain't even funny. Avoid the "Topic De Jour", and pick something you are going to stick with long term.
3. Never stop building.
- Like I said, there are going to be a ton of obstacles when you first start. But it's important to never give up. It's not easy to attract visitors (and retain them). It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. But trust me, once you start getting checks every month (or week) without even doing any work, you'll know your time building sites was well spent.
4. Learn a scripting language.
5. Learn to design well.
- You don't have to be a programming geek in order to make money. But it is important that you know whats going on behind the scenes with your website. Plus, these days, if you want to make it, your site is going to be dynamic. Pick up a good book about Php & Mysql, and dig in. Or just check out some of the articles on sitepoint.
- This is a biggie in my book. Some people could care less about design, but I think it's very important when marketing your site. If your site has valuable and unique content, it won't matter what your site looks like. But all things being equal, the site with the best design is going ot get more attention. Learn CSS, and check out sites like www.cssvault.com and www.cssbeauty.com for inspiration.