User Tag List

Thread: mailbits?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mailbits?

I contacted them about my account not being updated and all they said was that they were working on it and that is why no accounts were being updated in the payment information area. Anyways has anyone ever recieved payment from them?
    Travis
    http://www.eboarding.net

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have not had any experience with them, however based on what I have read from various message boards over the years it is evident that they are a legitimate company. I have also read that from time to time they give you an additional 20% of your check value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used their "tell-a-friend" program. One day they just kicked me out without as much as emaling me about it. I just went to check my stats and it said my account was terminated. I was very upset, because they never bothered to tell me. I don't know for how long the feature on my pages was inactive! I never got any money from them. I don't think they could have accused me of cheating as I only made 0.4$ through their program (which of course I never got). At the time there were several webmasters telling this story on this and similar forums.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with MailBits has always been good. Decent conversion rates (tell-a-friend does pretty well, helps with traffic too ), have always received checks on time for the proper amount, and as mentioned, they do occasionally give percentage bonuses. However, all of my email sent to them has gone unanswered. And the referral program never credited me properly, actually it never credited me at all.

I'm not aware of their situation right now, but I too have read posts that aren't favorable. If you have questions, you might need to give them a call.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know for how long the feature on my pages was inactive! I never got any money from them. I don't think they could have accused me of cheating as I only made 0.4$ through their program (which of course I never got).
    I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but if you stopped displaying their advertisements on your site (if I am reading correctly) and only had $0.40 in your account, then it almost looks as though you've just "given up" on them, and that may be the reason why your account was deleted. And the minimum is $50.00, so you can't expect to receive a check for $0.4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't stop showing their links and I followed their rules of linking to them to the letter. It's hardly my fault if people didn't want to get though their tedious process of all those mailing lists. I didn't do anything against their policy, unless making too little is a violation of their rules What upset me the most, was the fact that they never bothered to contact me before killing off my links. And no, they never responded to my emails...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anat, when was this?

On March 1 this year, they stopped all non US/Canada/UK affiliates. It could be that you signed up just before this? I tried to access my account on March 1 and couldn't. I did however eventually get was owed to me (last month)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that must have been it. Thanks for solving the mystery... It still doesn' explain why they couldn't email us prior to the change though.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did send an email late Jan/early Feb, but if you joined towards the end of Feb you wouldn't have received it.
    I don't recall getting a reminder near the end of Feb though, so I think just the one went out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like them for several reasons.

1. They spam the people who send a page to friends and make it look like it was from YOU, the webmaster

2. They will terminate your account if you can't prove how you're getting more and more traffic month by month

3. They have waaaay to many ads

4. They don't track correctly. When I switched to SuperTaf, my number of sends shot WAY up!

...and the list goes on...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mailbits came blazing into the affiliate scene which great payouts (.50 per lead). I used them at the old MS-free clicktrade (god bless that once beautiful site). I made great conversions.

They basically BOUGHT themselves right into the game. But they probably did it more efficiently than the grotesquely over-funded media-hyped uber-dot-coms.

The math could never really work out for them. They paid too high in payout to ever get it back in advertising UNLESS the great internet bubble lasted for 5 or 6 years.

I blame mailbits and zmedia for over saturating the email market. Once email list were the pet projects of devoted author/webmasters. Then people with $$$ in their eyes found out there was a quick buck to be made in email ad dollars and all these corporate sites jumped in trying to ape the offerings of devoted authors. Why should a funded corporation work the hard way for subscribers when you can buy them. Of course all of us wannabee webmaster plastered jokes4you.com, mailbits and all the other corporate hopefuls' subscription boxes all over our pages even if they offered lists competing with our own. I knew from the start it would over-saturate the market and worse yet their offerings would suffer the lack of personality that work-for-hire always does and turn off newbies to mailing list all together. Not to mention the corporate predilection for pushing the subscribers into their more spammy offerings with pre-checked co-registrations. Who can do any math on this board? How many emails can one person read?? Something's got to give.

If anyone's keeping track of the original, devoted email list, many of them have just quit (jokeseveryday.com), or gone to weekly (jokeaday.com). Now amused.com is getting shut-down. I hope the shake-out shakes out the corporate wannabees, and only the devoted are left to reap the next resurgence in online advertising interest. I'm sure no one will have learned any lessons.

I think the phrase 'get a life' is thrown around too much. There are a lot of great geek personalities that come through on the net and share their passions and expertise with only half-a-thought towards money. Their devotion and commitment will always give life to these undifferentiated electrons we call the 'net.

Sitepoint has moved from being Matt's baby at webmaster-tribune to what we know today. I think it's one of the few that have done a good job. I know Matt, whether wittingly or not, has guarded his newsletter jealously and has never polluted it with subscription offers for competing sites and other frivolous email list. Perhaps that's why I've been a subscriber for so long.

And I write this after spending waaay too many hours on my site tonight...

Keep the faith.

wd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not totally clear what point you are trying to make here.

Obviously you have been a webmaster a lot longer than me and know how things were way back then.

I joined mailbits very early into their program. At that time I knew nothing about javascripts etc that could do the same thing and they offered some money for each page that was referred.

I thought, 'why not'!!! I wasn't into affiliate programs then, but I knew my pages were popular, so painstakingly added my code to every page, with the hope of making a few bucks.

It started off very slow, but then it just got better and better. I was averaging $US700 a month for a while, then they brought the cookie thing in and I dropped to (average) $500 a month. But with the exchange rates, that was still great money.

However, they decided to drop overseas affiliates as of Feb 28 this year. So that money that I was receiving regularly was suddenly not there. It was great while it lasted, but when I joined, I thought I might make $10-20 a month which would have been nice. I didn't join solely to make money, but have a page referral service and if I made a few bucks along the way..well and good!!

I have replaced the service with ezefer.com after trying recommendit for three months. I didn't like recommendit at all because of the huge popup of stuff you 'were invited' to subscibe to.

If I could find a nice simple TAF script, I would use it. I don't like bombarding people with ads, which mailbits, flowgo, recommendit do now.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tdevil,

If you're still looking for a TAF script, let me know. I wrote one earlier this summer, I just haven't made it available for download yet. You can see it in action at www.justforwebmasters.com .
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tdevil - try using Supertaf at www.supertaf.com

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, fortunately I have managed to keep my email address fairly clean - I don't receive any spam in my main personal account. Just quality newsletters that I want to subscribe to. But even then I don't have time to read them all! So, yes I agree that you should guard your subscriber mailing list and use it wisely. Even amongst all the quality stuff- there is still just too much!